Apache module support

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by zoltan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:43 pm
It appears that Apache modules mod_deflate.c and mod_expires.c are not configured in sonic's web hosting servers. Why?

1) May I request these be enabled?

2) If not, is there some work-around by which I can have data gzipped and expiration headers automatically added to http responses?
by drew.phillips » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:27 pm
Hi,

We do have mod_expires installed and active, but not mod_gzip. I couldn't tell you why exactly we don't have gzip enabled, but it was likely due to compatibility issues a long time ago, and needing to leave it off by default and no one adding rules anyway.

You should be able to set expires rules just fine, the following work well and are compatible with our hosting:

Code: Select all

# Content caching
ExpiresActive On
ExpiresByType application/javascript "modification plus 4 hours"
ExpiresByType text/css "modification plus 8 hours"
ExpiresByType image/png "modification plus 1 day"
ExpiresByType text/plain "modification plus 10 minutes"
If your site uses PHP, a workaround for gzip compression would be to enable the gzip output buffer handler. That workaround doesn't make sense unless your site is using something (e.g. Wordpress) that runs all content through a common PHP script where you can enable this in one place.
Drew Phillips
Programmer / System Operations, Sonic.net
2 posts Page 1 of 1