What's included with fttn?

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
9 posts Page 1 of 1
by Mahera » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:56 am
Hello everyone.

I tried to find out what kind of hosting is included with Fttn?

When I check my member tools I see that everything costs extra?
A database is 10 dollar a month?

I couldn't find much info what hosting is actually included.
by miken » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:31 am
Hi! This article in our knowledge base has a bit more info: https://wiki.sonic.net/wiki/Hosting

But essentially, you get free mini and personal hosting with Fusion services (although the 2nd year and onward, you are responsible for domain registration with personal hosting). We also have more extensive hosting types (like Value and Basic), but they each come at a monthly cost.
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by Mahera » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:17 pm
Hello Mike.

Thanks for this link.

The info given is different from this post that I found.
-------—
The free personal hosting offer includes the same specifications as our standard value hosting, listed here: https://www.sonic.com/business/hosting . Also if you are already a Sonic user you can find this information in member tools:

-----------------

The numbers for value hosting are way higher (50 mail boxes, traffic and so on

What is correct ?

And there is no word on what kind of hosting?
PHP included?
Database (how many) included?

What kind of limits are on the PHP if there is PHP.

What can be adjusted if there are settings?

Is there anywhere a manual or guidelines on what this "free" space includes ?

Thanks agagain n for your help
by miken » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:03 pm
Where is that post you are referencing located? I wonder if it's an older forum post?

Personal Hosting provides:
2,500 Megabytes additional storage
10 Gigabytes additional web transfer
4 additional mailboxes

I wrote that article a few months back and all the information in there and on our front facing https://www.sonic.com/business/hosting should not be in any conflict.
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by Mahera » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:25 pm
I believe from January 31. 2017

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3689

But that's not really an answer to where I can find what kind of hosting is included.
Some scripts require certain versions of PHP being installed.
There are limits, I guess, where can I find more info on this free hosting offer?

Thanks for the help
by miken » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:41 pm
I apologize, I didn't see your question about databases and PHP. Personal Hosting does not come with any databases. By default, we use PHP 4 for everyone. However, you can specify the PHP version you'd like to use. https://wiki.sonic.net/wiki/Php5

I think Cdkeen's post was referring to Personal Hosting being a name-based virtual host on our web cluster and it including shell and FTP access. The numbers in the link I provided though are the accurate ones, however.
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by Mahera » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:48 pm
Hello Mike.

Thanks again for the help.
I feel pretty guilty holding you up from customer support for something so unimportant.

I get from your answers that there is no place where a customer can look up what this hosting includes. Instead it all goes piece by pice thru the forum / customer service.

You see, I try to piece together what this hosting offer is all about before registering a domain that will inccour costs( first year on sonic).

This means that I would need to know if my script would run on your server or not.
Some php settings need to be adjusted from standard and there is no way of knowing what is possible on sonics server.

From the forum I learned some numbers. You told me then that those numbers are wrong and pretty much half of what was posted before.

Then I learned that there is no ftp and shell access included either??????

From your last link i learned that In order to use PHP 5 I need to log in to shell.sonic to make changes? I guess I would need shell access but this doesn't seem to be included ?

Also there are no database included? Who runs PHP scripts and Doesn't need a database?
I know only a handful that don't require a database.

Anyway, you see each answer only leads to more confusion and questions. I

I guess I will give up on finding things out before hand, register a domain name that sonic pays for and then find out it doesn't run and cancel before I would have to pay.

i don't think that this is really in Sonics interest.
What choice do I / a sonic customer have?
by miken » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:11 pm
1. Personal hosting does include FTP and Shell Access.
2. The page I linked about PHP 5 explains that you need to create/modify the htaccess file, which doesn't require shell access.
3. If you do need a MySQL database for your website, we offer that, just not with our free Personal Hosting. You'd want to look at Value or Basic Hosting depending on which one suits your needs.
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by Mahera » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:50 pm
Hello Mike.

You see, confusion.

From the link

Custom php.ini file (optional)
This configuration reads the PHP configuration from the file /usr/local/lib/httpd/cgi-bin/php.ini If you want to use your own custom php.ini file with your own custom settings, perform the following steps:
a) At the command line on shell.sonic.net create a symbolic link in your cgi directory using the command

It states " from the command line on shell.sonic. Net"

But you already explained now that shell is included.

So it could work.
Nope, doesn't work either, no database included.
I see that a database is 10 dollar a month?

Anyway, I go ahead and register a domain to start messing around.

Is there a place where I could find the limits of the various PHP settings ?
9 posts Page 1 of 1