Add-ons all broke with WP update Jan 2017

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by ko360 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:52 pm
Can't use function return value in write context in /nfs/www/WWW_pages/ko360/lakeofvape.com/wp-content/plugins/wpu-shortlinks/wpu-shortlinks.php on line 863

All my addons are broken. Unable to post new items. Unable to get any function w/my site.

What to do?
by drew.phillips » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:58 pm
Hi ko,

Typically, if a plugin breaks and prevents you from accessing your site, you can disable it by renaming the plugin folder in wp-content/plugins. In this case, you can identify the faulty plugin based on the error being in wpu-shortlinks/wpu-shortlinks.php. So chaning the folder name from wpu-shortlinks to wpu-shortlinks-temp for example, would cause WordPress to disable the plugin on the next load. You could then re-enable it by naming the folder wpu-shortlinks again.

In this case, I hopped on really quick and fixed the error in the file. It's a mistake in the code that they'll need to fix in order to prevent this in the future.

For now it'll run fine as long as the wpu-shortlinks stays at the current version.
Drew Phillips
Programmer / System Operations, Sonic.net
by drew.phillips » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:23 pm
I wanted to make sure nothing changed with our hosting or PHP so I looked a little further into this.

It appears that the plugin author did introduce that error in a recent version. My guess is a couple of days ago someone updated the plugins on your site (as far as I know, plugin updates are not automatic, only WP versions) and that's when it broke.

In any case, fixed for now. Might want to let the author know at https://wordpress.org/plugins/wpu-shortlinks/ if you plan to continue using that plugin since a future update might break it again unless they fix that.
Drew Phillips
by kathologist » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:05 pm
Thank you!

I re-synced Jetpack & reloaded and it's all back to normal.

I guess I need to let Jetpack know about my error.

Cheers!
by drew.phillips » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:31 pm
No problem :)

I don't think that wpu-shortlinks is part of Jetpack. Unrelated as far as I can tell.

Not sure if you're really using this plugin, but the one that broke the site was: https://wordpress.org/plugins/wpu-shortlinks/

Looks like they introduced that error in an update released about 2 weeks ago.
Drew Phillips
5 posts Page 1 of 1