Hiding the Names of Media Files

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by HubriSonics » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:51 pm
Hello,

I plan to begin streaming music on my website in the summer of 2017. I want it to be impossible for visitors to download permanent copies of the music files. I believe that there is a way to hide the names of media files with PHP.

Can anyone recommend a tutorial on how to do this?

Regards,

HubriSonics
by virtualmike » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:28 am
You can make it difficult, but you cannot make it impossible. If your server streams bits to another device, you cannot prevent its recording those bits.
by drew.phillips » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:15 pm
virtualmike wrote:You can make it difficult, but you cannot make it impossible. If your server streams bits to another device, you cannot prevent its recording those bits.
+1

At the end of the day, whether or not you hide the source file or not, you're still streaming the original content to them which is pretty much the same.

You can hide the sound sources outside of the document root so they can't be directly downloaded, and serve them from a script that requires some sort of token that's only valid for a short period. But nothing will prevent someone from getting a copy if they want.
Drew Phillips
Programmer / System Operations, Sonic.net
3 posts Page 1 of 1