Error Log

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
31 posts Page 2 of 4
by ErrorLost » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:47 pm
Thank you. However I am still getting Permission Denied when I try to upload a new .htaccess file.
by Guest » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:14 pm
DId you check the permissions on the old .htaccess? It is most likely set to read only for security.
by drew.phillips » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:17 pm
Error Log wrote:That'd be great. The domain is crystalsilenceleague.org

I am working as a contractor helping a friend. Unfortunately, I did not set up the original site. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
I took a quick look through our error logs and didn't find anything relevant for your domain. Our default PHP settings for error reporting are not set so most issues won't be logged. "display_errors" is on so you'd see any types of fatal errors printed to the browser window.

I checked the .htaccess permissions and you should be able to edit the .htaccess file for the domain in question.

If you'd like, I can change it over to use PHP 5.5. Here's a .user.ini file that facilitates helpful error logging during development:

Code: Select all

error_log = /nfs/WWW_pages/YOUR_USERNAME/crystalsilenceleague.org/error.log
error_reporting = E_ALL & ~E_DEPRECATED & ~E_STRICT
log_errors = On
When you're reading for production, you can add a line with "display_errors = Off" so errors will never be displayed to visitors.

Our default settings don't set an error reporting level, so some errors and warnings aren't displayed, and log_errors is off so we don't have them logged anywhere after the fact.
Drew Phillips
Programmer / System Operations, Sonic.net
by drew.phillips » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:20 pm
ErrorLost wrote:Thank you. However I am still getting Permission Denied when I try to upload a new .htaccess file.
Actually, I lied. The .htaccess file in the domain folder had 444 permissions meaning read only. I thought you might have been trying to edit a different one. Permissions are fixed so you should now be able to save over it.
Drew Phillips
Programmer / System Operations, Sonic.net
by ErrorLost » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:22 am
Thank you again. I was able to edit the .htaccess file.

I discovered that my htaccess file already had the following code

Code: Select all

Action php-cgi /cgi-bin/php55
   AddHandler php-cgi .php 
Yet, my info still shows Version 5.2.11

I've created a .USER.INI file as you suggested, but due to the PHP version it doesn't seem to like it.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
by joemuller » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:27 am
I noticed that the .htaccess file you had this morning was referencing PHP 5.3, then further down PHP 5 (which defaults to 5.2). I cleaned those up for you into a single entry for php53.
I'm a proud employee of Sonic.net! :-)
by Guest » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:29 pm
Thank you so much. You have been a great help!
by ErrorLost » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:49 am
Hello Again,
Thank you for your help in resolving my .htaccess issue. However, even after adding the Error log declaration I am not getting error.log to populate, however I am getting a 500 Server Error on one of the pages and I am having a hard time trying to figure out where my page is breaking. The code seems to be executing. The Database insert statement is functioning and the script that it triggers seems to be working. But instead of redirecting, it throws the 500 Server Error. Do you have any more suggestions that could help me see an error log. Shouldn't the 500 Server Error log somewhere?

Here is the page:
http://crystalsilenceleague.org/public/report_post.php

thank you in advance,
by ErrorLost » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:37 am
Hi, I can see you submitting. I just saw an Error Log in the directory. Thank you so much! I think this will really help.
by ErrorLost » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:43 am
Strange that the 500 Server Error doesn't show up in the error.log?
31 posts Page 2 of 4