tilde problem with new wordpress install

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by jennine » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:18 pm
I just installed WordPress (using Website Add-Ons, nothing personalized) to a domain name, and it's not behaving properly. When I go to my domain name, I see the default sonic.net "Coming soon" page. I deleted the INDEX.html file that seemed to be creating that, but it's still coming up; a temporary index.html that I created won't appear unless I rename it and manually go to that page.

I can get to the Wordpress installer page (by manually going to mydomain.com/index.php); however, when I fill out the form, I'm given a 404 page that looks like this:
Not Found

The requested URL /~wp-admin/install.php was not found on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
A tilde (~) has been inserted in front of the wp-admin directory. Why is this happening? There's nothing in my .htaccess that would be doing this; I haven't done anything special. Any ideas? Thanks!
by jennine » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:13 pm
Update: now occasionally when I go to my domain's page I get an install WordPress page; that fails on the second page because there's a tilde in the address it's going to. Most of the time when I attempt to load the page I'm getting a Sonic coming soon page. This really isn't ideal!
by joemuller » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:17 pm
Are you still getting redirected to ~wp-admin? I checked your domains that have Wordpress installed, and both are redirecting as expected if I go to domainname.com/wp-admin/install.php.

One thing that can cause odd behavior is if the NS records for your domain were recently updated, as it takes some time for the changes to propagate and you may be getting directed to different IP's if the DNS providers give different answers. I did notice that this was happening on your .com version and forced all of our servers to clear any stale cached info.
I'm a proud employee of Sonic.net! :-)
3 posts Page 1 of 1