Does our FTP space have public anon folder?

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by mfeemster » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:39 pm
I am able to upload/download from my FTP space just fine, but was wondering if there's a way to do it without supplying a password?

The reason is that I am logging into it from an IP camera which does not use any type of encryption. So if I use my real login, I am sending my credentials in cleartext out over the wire. I would like to be able to setup a folder where I can save data to it without explicitly specifying a login.

In addition, is it possible to set the permissions to allow anonymous/other write permissions, but only owner read permissions. That would prevent other people from seeing what I've got stored out there.

Thanks.
by vbrobert » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:07 pm
No. Some of the reasons include that if you go over your transfer rate or storage space, you will be charged. In the scenario above, some creeper could put his 100 GB collection of fire ant colony videos on there, and you would get charged. Even worse, you would see a colony of fire ants instead of what your camera is pointing at (assuming that it isn't being pointed at a conoly of fire ants).

What you may want to consider is storing the files on your computer and making it an Ftp server. That would eliminate transfer limits, a lot of bandwidth issues, a lot of storage limitations and the need to have your IP Camera send your password across the Internet.
Overwatch!
by m.harmon » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:38 am
There is a way to do what you need.

https://wiki.sonic.net/wiki/FTP_FAQ#How ... iles_in.3F

Create the folder with permissions listed.

You can then have your system login with

ftp.sonic.net
Username- anonymous
Password- username@sonic.net
Directory- /pub/users/"your username"
M. Harmon
Sonic Customer Support
by vbrobert » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:24 pm
I stand corrected. Thanks M. Harmon. I am still creeped out by fire ants though.
Overwatch!
by mfeemster » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:14 pm
I think that gets me close, but I'm still not quite there. Still working on it...

Thanks a ton, the support here is second to none!
by mfeemster » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:44 pm
I can't seem to get this to work. I think it's because the the camera is trying to create sub folders. So if I make a folder like:

/pub/users/myname/cam

it is going to try to create

/pub/users/myname/cam/cameravendor/date/snapshots ... etc...

Would that still work with this technique?

Also, where can we see the logs for what's happening on our FTP space? If I could analyze the logs, I might be able to get a better idea of what the camera is actually trying to do.

Thanks.
6 posts Page 1 of 1