FTP not working from IP camera upload

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by mfeemster » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:58 pm
I am setting up a home security camera and there is a feature where you can automatically store video and snapshots to an FTP location. I can connect to the sonic FTP using WinSCP just fine using TLS/SSL encryption on port 21. However I have tried three different brands of camera and none are able to properly connect to the FTP server and upload a snapshot image.

I have attached a screenshot of what the FTP configuration screen looks like for two of the cameras. Can you please tell me what I should enter in these fields to make it work?

Note that the Foscam screen has a "Test" button. When I click it, I can log into the FTP server, and it even tells me "success", however the test snapshot image never seems to show up in my FTP folder. The Amcrest screen does not have a test button.

Also note the mode for the Foscam can be either PORT or PASV, which should I use?

I know this is somewhat beyond the scope of Sonic support, but I have also tested this with a D-Link camera and it didn't work either. So I am starting to think the problem lies with how Sonic handles FTP.

Thank you.

Attachments

by Guest » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:16 pm
Try PASV mode to see if it corrects your problem.

Make sure your subdirectories exist. You should try just ftp://ftp.sonic.net and it should automatically place you in the correct home directory. Login through another client to see the subdirectories are there and have the proper permissions.
by mfeemster » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:53 pm
Thanks Guest, but that didn't work. I would like to hear from Sonic support. Perhaps they can tell me if they see multiple failed logins or failed file writing attempts on my account.

I have verified that this works with another FTP service, so I'm positive the problem is with Sonic after having had this same experience with three different brands of cameras.
by mfeemster » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:25 pm
I've solved the problem, and it was a total false alarm.

I had my FTP program pointed to my website folder instead of the root of my user folder, and therefore could not see all of the files that were being uploaded there.

Thanks.
4 posts Page 1 of 1