mail forwarding with dynamic DNS

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by jessewk » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:30 pm
I'm using afraid.org's free dynamic DNS service to direct web traffic to my home web server.

My domain is registered through Sonic.

I'd like to avoid managing a mail server at home. I see in member tools the option to forward mail bound for user@mydomain.com to another email address.

Is it possible to set up my name server records correctly so that Sonic handles receiving my mail and forwarding it while afraid.org handles the web requests?

Right now, the authoritative name servers for my domain are:

ns1.afraid.org
ns2.afraid.org
ns3.afraid.org

At afraid.org, I have configured the following records :

mydomain.com A my.dynamic.ip
http://www.mydomain.com A my.dynamic.ip
mydomain.com MX 10:mail.sonic.net
mail.mydomain.com MX 10:mail.sonic.net

When I send email to user@mydomain.com or user@mail.mydomain.com I get a 'relaying denied' error. On the Sonic side, I have configured user@mydomain.com to forward to another email address.

Is it possible to do what I want or should I just bite the bullet and host a mail server locally?
by thulsa_doom » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:50 pm
I don't think it's the DNS that's getting you here. Dynamic-IP Fusion circuits have port 25 filtered as a means of preventing compromised local systems from spewing spam out to the Internet at large. Running an MX server would require a static IP address.
John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
by jessewk » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:36 pm
Thanks, but I don't think the port filtering is what's blocking me...

My goal is to avoid running a mail server. Instead, I'd like to use Sonic's mail forwarding service to forward mail destined for my domain to a gmail address. The key is to get Sonic to accept mail at mail.mydomain.com and forward it. Any suggestions how I can get that to work?
by tjj » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:16 pm
Yes, you would need to give us a call and ask for the MX handling service to be added to your account. It is $1.95 a month and will do what you are looking for.
Tage J.
Sonic.net Customer Support
by jessewk » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:49 pm
great, thanks! I got MX forwarding setup and with a little help from gmail's 'Send Mail As' feature I've got emails to/from my domain working perfectly.

Sonic, I love you.
5 posts Page 1 of 1