Domain name theft prevention?

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by gizmos » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:47 am
Here's an odd question - for the past year or so I've been getting inquiries about buying my domain name, and in the last month or so I've received two phone calls with offers to buy it. I don't want to sell - I've had this domain for almost two decades now and everybody knows my address. I'm also not sure who wants it or why - admittedly four letter domain names are getting scarce, but mine doesn't mean anything that I'm aware of for 99.99% of the population.

I am starting to get a little worried about the possibility of domain name theft. Once a name has been transferred, legally or not, it's very difficult to get back. Of course, Sonic is my registrar - what kind of options does Sonic have to prevent unauthorized name transfers? Any suggestions for things I can do to protect myself?

Bob Armstrong
bob@jfcl.com
by miken » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:52 am
Sonic domains are locked by default, meaning they can not be transferred without first being unlocked. Furthermore, upon a transfer request, the person transferring must get an authorization code from us and provide it to the new registrar. As long as your Sonic account is secure, you have nothing to worry about.

We did recently release two step authentication, which would also help increase security.
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by gizmos » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:36 pm
My domain name is locked, yes. So Sonic requires the authentication "PIN" code (magic number, etc) for any domain name transfer, and someone can only get that authentication code from the Sonic member's web page? Sounds good.

I saw the option for the two step authentication, but if I enable that will it then be required for every login in to the members web page? That seems like a little too much...

Thanks
by miken » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:59 pm
When you log in with two step verification, there is an option to remember you for 12 hours.
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
4 posts Page 1 of 1