Is subversion available?

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by emeyer » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:04 pm
Hi, I am interested in using subversion with my free storage space. I just activated the ftp folder, then called into tech support. They said there "is" a subversion repository installed (not sure if that's what they meant)? However, I would like my own place .svn files, private. They weren't able to tell me anything other than "try it". However, I need credentials and the repository directory to even do that. I wasn't really able to get help with this on the phone.
Any ideas?
by joemuller » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:29 pm
As far as I'm aware, there isn't an svn repository on shell.sonic.net. Now, you *can* use a repository hosted on another server (something like svn import/export), or so I'm told.
I'm a proud employee of Sonic.net! :-)
by kgc » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:26 pm
You can use the shell server to host a svn repository over ssh. First likely URL in google:\
http://csoft.net/docs/svn.html.en
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by orm » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:15 pm
the command: <ssh myusername@shell.sonic.net> doesn't work... it doesn't recognize my password(s). Is this designed for master accounts only, or could a secondary username work too?
by kgc » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:37 pm
Only primary accounts are allowed SSH access right now. You'll also need to give support a call to have your account authorized for shell access.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by sidney » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:29 am
/usr/bin/svn on shell is very old, version 1.2. You need to add /opt/subversion-1.4.6/bin to the beginning of $PATH in your bash profile and in ~/.ssh/environment to get something reasonable.

I keep a subversion repository on shell that I can access using svn-ssh. The trick is having an entry in ~/.ssh/authorized_keys that begins something like

command="/opt/subversion-1.4.6/bin/svnserve -t -r /home/s/sidney/PathToMySVNrepos --tunnel-user=syncuser",no-port-forwarding,no-agent-forwarding,no-X11-forwarding,no-pty ssh-rsa ...

That may be enough information to let you Google for the details of setting up ssh access to an svn repository.
6 posts Page 1 of 1