Free hosting/domain name if transferring domain name?

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by jessieandrob » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:45 pm
Hi all,

I'd like to take advantage of the free web hosting for Sonic.net Fusion customers, but had a few questions.

1) I've got a domain name already registered with another registrar. If I wanted to use the free hosting with Sonic with my domain name, do I need to transfer this domain to Sonic?

2) If I use Sonic's free domain registration for the first year, am I free to use a different registrar at the end of the year but keep using Sonic's hosting service for free?

3) The free hosting is available for Sonic Fusion FTTN (resold UVerse), correct?

Thanks!
by cdkeen » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:39 pm
Sonic.net is covering the registration fee for your domain for the first year and the hosting cost remains at $0. You will be responsible for the normal domain registration fees for subsequent years but are under no obligation to retain the service after the first year. This offer only applies to Sonic users with active connectivity service from Sonic, as well as only being applicable for new domain name registrations. If you change registrars, or cancel connectivity service, the offer is void and would convert to a standard value web hosting package (if you choose to retain the service with Sonic). The free personal hosting offer includes the same specifications as our standard value hosting, listed here: https://www.sonic.com/business/hosting . Also if you are already a Sonic user you can find this information in member tools: https://members.sonic.net/websites/pers ... b_hosting/
cdkeen - Sonic.net System Operations
by jessieandrob » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:46 pm
cdkeen wrote:Sonic.net is covering the registration fee for your domain for the first year and the hosting cost remains at $0. You will be responsible for the normal domain registration fees for subsequent years but are under no obligation to retain the service after the first year. This offer only applies to Sonic users with active connectivity service from Sonic, as well as only being applicable for new domain name registrations. If you change registrars, or cancel connectivity service, the offer is void and would convert to a standard value web hosting package (if you choose to retain the service with Sonic). The free personal hosting offer includes the same specifications as our standard value hosting, listed here: https://www.sonic.com/business/hosting . Also if you are already a Sonic user you can find this information in member tools: https://members.sonic.net/websites/pers ... b_hosting/
so to sum up, i must select a new, unused domain name to take advantage of the free hosting, and i must stay with Sonic's registrar service (assuming i continue being a Sonic FTTN customer) to have continued free hosting. is this accurate?

i saw the personal web hosting page in the member tools, but the page is not clear as to what i'm asking, i think.
by andrewthomason » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:18 pm
cdkeen wrote:This offer only applies to Sonic users with active connectivity service from Sonic, as well as only being applicable for new domain name registrations.
I have a domain name registered with Sonic. The rudimentary website associated with the domain name has been hosted for the last couple years by Microsoft as part of my Office 365 subscription, but MS has revised the subscription plan and eliminated the web hosting part.

Is it possible to apply Sonic's free personal web hosting feature to my existing, Sonic-registered domain? In light of the recent 25% price hike, I'm trying to weigh all the pros and cons of staying with Sonic; having a place to move my website to without incurring additional costs would count as a pro.
by miken » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:08 am
andrewthomason wrote:I have a domain name registered with Sonic. The rudimentary website associated with the domain name has been hosted for the last couple years by Microsoft as part of my Office 365 subscription, but MS has revised the subscription plan and eliminated the web hosting part.

Is it possible to apply Sonic's free personal web hosting feature to my existing, Sonic-registered domain? In light of the recent 25% price hike, I'm trying to weigh all the pros and cons of staying with Sonic; having a place to move my website to without incurring additional costs would count as a pro.
Personal hosting is only available for new, unregistered domain names. If you need hosting for a domain that is already registered, you'd want to look at Value or Basic Hosting: https://www.sonic.com/business/hosting
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by annjosh » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:34 am
Is it possible to change the free personal hosting domain name down the line if I want to use a different domain name rather than the one I initially signed up with? If I choose the do not renew option on the domain name, does the personal hosting cancel automatically when the domain reg expires, or is the personal hosting plan still active on the account without any associated domain name? I'd like to continue using my users.sonic.net subdomain with the extra 10GB of bandwidth that comes with the personal hosting plan.
6 posts Page 1 of 1