FTP Connection Issues

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by yhendrix » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:58 pm
For the past week I have not been able to upload any files through my FTP client Ipswitch Ws_FTP Professional or using FileZilla to the two websites hosted through Sonic. I am also not able to properly manage these sonic hosted Wordpress websites. I do not have this issue with sites hosted on other servers. The file I was trying to upload is the YooTheme Widgetkit, size 4.75 MB. This same folder went up perfectly to the other three non-sonic hosting accounts. It went up in about 3 minutes.

Any attempt to connect to ftp.sonic.net from any of my accounts is being rejected ("530 Sorry, the maximum number of clients (10) from your host are already connected") Sonic tech support has been unable to help me and suggested I post my problem here.

1) FTP: File transfer at a crawl and after about 10 minutes it throws this error: The server rejected your login credentials. Retype your username and password and click OK to retry. (this puts me in a loop that goes nowhere for about 1 hour)

2) Here is the error the file upload shows: Failed, error:0

2) Wordpress Backend Save: The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

Two sonic hosted accounts: cumulus and kimbacan

Help please! Thank you.
by drew.phillips » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:01 am
It doesn't necessarily address your issue with FTP specifically, but I'd suggest switching to SFTP to transfer files. FTP is unencrypted so any data (including login password) is sent in the clear over the internet. SFTP also doesn't have the same connection limitations like FTP does.

The connection information is documented on our FTP FAQ page, but the gist is to use shell.sonic.net as the host and connect on port 22. The username and password are the same account credentials you use for FTP.

In Filezilla you can use sftp://shell.sonic.net for the host to indicate SFTP (SSH) and this will also default to port 22.

Can you try that and let me know if it works any better?
Drew Phillips
Programmer / System Operations, Sonic.net
by jessieandrob » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:33 pm
@drew.phillips has the problem been fixed? i'm unable to log in to shell.sonic.net now too. i'm using WinSCP, set to SFTP, port 22, and definitely using the correct login. i'm getting an "Access Denied" message.
by drew.phillips » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:42 pm
jessieandrob wrote:@drew.phillips has the problem been fixed? i'm unable to log in to shell.sonic.net now too. i'm using WinSCP, set to SFTP, port 22, and definitely using the correct login. i'm getting an "Access Denied" message.
The issue yhendrix was having was a bit different. They were getting a connection limit reached message.

I see your account jessieandrob doesn't have shell access enabled (if this is the account you're trying to connect as). Until shell services are enabled, you will not be able to log in. In order to get it turned on for your account, you'll need to call support during business hours (8 AM - 10 PM 7 days a week) so they can verify your information and have you agree to the terms.

I was able to log in to two separate accounts so I think the issue is just that you need to have it enabled on your account.
Drew Phillips
Programmer / System Operations, Sonic.net
by jessieandrob » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:46 pm
drew.phillips wrote:
jessieandrob wrote:@drew.phillips has the problem been fixed? i'm unable to log in to shell.sonic.net now too. i'm using WinSCP, set to SFTP, port 22, and definitely using the correct login. i'm getting an "Access Denied" message.
The issue yhendrix was having was a bit different. They were getting a connection limit reached message.

I see your account jessieandrob doesn't have shell access enabled (if this is the account you're trying to connect as). Until shell services are enabled, you will not be able to log in. In order to get it turned on for your account, you'll need to call support during business hours (8 AM - 10 PM 7 days a week) so they can verify your information and have you agree to the terms.

I was able to log in to two separate accounts so I think the issue is just that you need to have it enabled on your account.
ah ok, will call tomorrow to request. thanks!
by Godzilla » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:03 pm
Sound like your client is trying to open more connections than allowed. In Filezilla, you can set the maximum amount of connections in Edit / Settings / Transfers. Try that and see if it helps.
yhendrix wrote:For the past week I have not been able to upload any files through my FTP client Ipswitch Ws_FTP Professional or using FileZilla to the two websites hosted through Sonic. I am also not able to properly manage these sonic hosted Wordpress websites. I do not have this issue with sites hosted on other servers. The file I was trying to upload is the YooTheme Widgetkit, size 4.75 MB. This same folder went up perfectly to the other three non-sonic hosting accounts. It went up in about 3 minutes.

Any attempt to connect to ftp.sonic.net from any of my accounts is being rejected ("530 Sorry, the maximum number of clients (10) from your host are already connected") Sonic tech support has been unable to help me and suggested I post my problem here.

1) FTP: File transfer at a crawl and after about 10 minutes it throws this error: The server rejected your login credentials. Retype your username and password and click OK to retry. (this puts me in a loop that goes nowhere for about 1 hour)

2) Here is the error the file upload shows: Failed, error:0

2) Wordpress Backend Save: The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

Two sonic hosted accounts: cumulus and kimbacan

Help please! Thank you.
by guest » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:54 pm
Educate me: it's 2016 and why would anyone hassle with "hosting" when there's Drop Box and S3 and ton of others that I don't even know about...
by miken » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:07 pm
guest wrote:Educate me: it's 2016 and why would anyone hassle with "hosting" when there's Drop Box and S3 and ton of others that I don't even know about...
I believe you are thinking of file sharing, which would indeed be easier through a service like Dropbox than doing so through FTP. However, this thread is talking about using FTP for websites.
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
8 posts Page 1 of 1