Domain name no longer part of Sonic package

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
11 posts Page 1 of 2
by Loyal Sonic customer » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:50 am
I just found out that Sonic no longer includes a domain registration for its Fusion customers.

How did I find out? I suddenly had a large bump in my monthly bill. No notice of any sort was given.

I'm a bit steamed about this for several reasons.

1. Certainly Sonic can change the terms of its deal with us at any time, but for a company that is prized for its care of its customers, at least some notice is warranted. Usually a change like this would be posted, debated, and then, perhaps, made.

2. I need to decide if I want the to pony up for the additional cost of domain registration. While the pages that were in my domain were extremely low traffic, they have a certain value to me, both for existing pages and new ones I might create. It's only fair to give me time to think of the options.

3. Since Sonic uses only auto billing with an e-receipt, it seems like kind of a sneaky thing to have this show with no notice. I'm pretty sure that most people look at their on line bill even less than paper bills.

4. In my case, the bill came simultaneously with a change in service I initiated. My first thought was that it was related to my change of service. Unintentionally sneaky.

I've been singing Sonic's praises to my friends (even got a few to sign up), but, frankly, the way this was handled makes me feel like Sonic is becoming Just Another ISP (r). I would like to be convinced otherwise.
by dherr » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:04 pm
Are you perhaps at your one year mark with Sonic?

My understanding was that you get only the first year free when registering a new domain with a new Fusion account. Maybe I am confused.
by Loyal Sonic Customer » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:15 pm
dherr wrote:Are you perhaps at your one year mark with Sonic?

My understanding was that you get only the first year free when registering a new domain with a new Fusion account. Maybe I am confused.
That may be/have been true. I've been a Fusion customer for six or eight years, and had a free domain most of that time. The CSR I spoke with earlier didn't say anything about a one year free policy. In any case, see my OP. It's a change, and poorly (i.e.not at all) communicated.
by tikvah » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:33 pm
I am not seeing a way to follow discussions.
by drew.phillips » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:39 pm
tikvah wrote:I am not seeing a way to follow discussions.
Below the last post on the page to the right of the "Post a Reply" button is a button with a wrench on it, click that and select "Subscribe Topic" to be notified of replies.

Or when you reply to a post, check the "Notify me when a reply is posted" and that will also get you an email notification when a reply is posted.
Drew Phillips
Programmer / System Operations, Sonic.net
by tikvah » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:45 pm
Thank you. I posted because I wanted to follow this particular topic, not because I was being off topic. But since we're discussing it... can't you please send full text with the email notifications? (by default or by choice) Especially for very active topics, it is such a PITA to have to log in every time because if you don't you 1) don't know what the reply says and 2) won't get any more notifications for that topic. I just want emails (every email, unless I unsub from the topic) so I can follow it easily. Or at least the choice to do so. Does your new system do this?
by drew.phillips » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:55 pm
PM'ed you.
Drew Phillips
Programmer / System Operations, Sonic.net
by joemuller » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:47 am
I'd be happy to look into why you were charged extra for your websites. Can you please include your account name and/or domain that you were charged for?
dherr wrote:My understanding was that you get only the first year free when registering a new domain with a new Fusion account. Maybe I am confused.
That's correct, when you sign up for the Personal Hosting option, Sonic pays for the first year of registration if you are setting up a new domain. The hosting part remains free as long as you have Internet service with us.

-- Joe M.
Sonic System Operations
I'm a proud employee of Sonic.net! :-)
by inaudio » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:16 pm
I got a domain name, and nothing was said about regutration costs that I remember. BUT today I get a bill in the mail from iDNS for $45 if I want to keep it for the next 16 months... Not padded into my Sonic bill. Is this normal?

Since I have not set up even a basci web page there, I may let it go or I might keep it, undecided so far. But it is odd that this tread is abotu Sonic billing for the domain, not iDNS. What is the proper way to do this? I htought it was a spam letter at first, and am still not sure.

What is real?

Lou
by joemuller » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:53 pm
Lou,

If you have the domain registered with us (I see one on your account), we would be the only one to bill you for registration, which is currently $15/year.

What you received in the mail from iDNS is a scam. They look up when domains are set to expire, (public info) then send a carefully crafted letter to the owner (public if a domain privacy option is not chosen) asking for payment. What they are attempting to do (though they will deny it) is con folks into transferring their registration to them. You can safely shred/trash the letter if it is for your Sonic domain.

You may want to consider enabling Domain Privacy for your domain - it does have an additional cost of $0.25/mo (the same cost that our registrar, TUCOWS, charges us), but it keeps the contact information for your domain hidden.

-- Joe
I'm a proud employee of Sonic.net! :-)
11 posts Page 1 of 2