libc is too old for a 2007 binary!

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by casner » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:47 pm
I wanted to run a simple cross-assembler binary in my hosting account, but I get the following error:

as80: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.3' not found (required by as80)

I see that the libc is 2.2.5 from 2006:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Jun 15 2006 /lib/libc.so.6 -> libc-2.2.5.so

GNU C Library stable release version 2.2.5, by Roland McGrath et al.
Compiled by GNU CC version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.3 2.96-113).
Compiled on a Linux 2.4.9-9 system on 2006-02-19.

That's a decade ago now. Any news on when the hosting servers might be updated?
by Pololena » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:10 pm
sorry you're having trouble with sonic's libc being too old. their service overall is inferior, so i feel your pain! here's mine...i attend college online and recently contacted sonic regarding the extremely slow 'promised' i/net speed of up to 18mbps in my area. well tech ran a test and it was peaking @ something like 10.56! on every software program or website i tried to browse, kept encountering 3 to 4 minutes repeated delays, whenever i moved my mouse! with a phrase displaying across top of each page that read, "Not Responding." additionally, to ensure my computer does not encounter malfunctions, i pay a $15/month premium to my manufacturer. this runs ad blocker, system and/or software updates, etc. i also subscribe to malwarebytes which protects my system from malicious attacks. imagine my surprise at hearing techs reason why my computer doesn't even reach their low 18mbps maximum speeds? get this...it's probably due to the fact that my building has too many tenants using their wi-fi connections, during the times i'm trying to use mine! Whaaattt? this is the poorest excuse i've ever heard of for trying to justifying inferior quality service! tech said the solution would be for me to tie myself down to one spot by connecting via an ethernet cord instead of trying to use the wi-fi for which i have been paying! again, whaaattt? to top it all off, the rep i spoke with tonight...upon canceling service said i would have to be charged an early disconnection fee of $149!! i could not do my online classes, e.g., because posting only two responses to an assignment took close to two hours, because of the frequency of the "Not Responding" error! This caused me to take a fail and pay almost 2 grand since my financial aid doesn't cover a low grade. that said, charging me a fee when i've already lost the monthly fees i've paid sonic, plus the almost two grand, is an added 'insult to injury!' so, i say beware of what you're getting into with this firm that offers low-cost home phone and i/net service. you really DO get what you pay for with sonic. The cheap price doesn't come close to what you'll lose, in terms of an elevated stress level and a feeling that a shyster is authorized to steal your money! they're now getting you on the way in...to servicing your account by charging an early disconnection fee! Why is that? When i initially signed up January 2015, the service was much better...and reliable! They didn't require this fee. They instituted this once they saw customers who valued their time and money would not stay with this insulting type of service! Thus, they surmised, "I know! A light bulb moment! Before customers who are wise enough to leave us can do so...we'll hit them with an early disconnection charge! Because we know once they experience our inferior quality...for sure they'll want to move to a more reliable service provider!" Gotcha'!

after being highly disgruntled at how i've been treated, while sonic blood-sucked my monies, i explored what was out there and now have 100mbps with my new provider and if i wanted to pay more, can go up to 300mbps! Big difference from these thieves! if anyone else is dissatisfied with this crummy service, feel free to contact me and i'll give you name of the provider that you can count on to give service level to which you're entitled to receive. A service provider that you're paying your hard-earned money to and will live up to your expectations! you can reach me @: 818 860 0927.

thanks for allowing me to air my grievance and frustration about sonic. i will tell everyone i know of whom i come in contact with about this experience, even plan to post it to fellow students! might even create a blog about it and ask others to get it off their chest and do the same!
by sysops » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:37 am
Pololena wrote:i attend college online and recently contacted sonic regarding the extremely slow 'promised' i/net speed of up to 18mbps in my area. well tech ran a test and it was peaking @ something like 10.56! on every software program or website i tried to browse, kept encountering 3 to 4 minutes repeated delays, whenever i moved my mouse! with a phrase displaying across top of each page that read, "Not Responding." additionally, to ensure my computer does not encounter malfunctions, i pay a $15/month premium to my manufacturer. this runs ad blocker, system and/or software updates, etc. i also subscribe to malwarebytes which protects my system from malicious attacks. imagine my surprise at hearing techs reason why my computer doesn't even reach their low 18mbps maximum speeds? get this...it's probably due to the fact that my building has too many tenants using their wi-fi connections, during the times i'm trying to use mine!
I've been a Sonic customer for 15 years and my experiences are completely contrary to this. But if loading up webpages and browsing results in 3-4 minute "Not Responding" delays, this has nothing to do with your internet speed or connection and instead your computer's health and performance. 10.56 Mbps sounds sufficient for everything you're doing. I have one location with Sonic's legacy DSL at 6/1Mbps and I stream 1080p YouTube videos all day long while surfing multiple websites with no problem (though I'm considering an FTTN upgrade soon).

I'd advise not paying 15/mo for free software to your computer manufacturer which is probably responsible for slowing your computer down so much. A single anti-virus program on a computer can result in a 50% performance decrease depending on the computer specs and AV settings. Having a second one on top of that (never recommended) is even worse.

Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with Sonic and maybe the tech you spoke with was limited in what they could to to help your computer since they can really only fix internet issues and not go beyond that because it assumes additional responsibility. In any case, sounds like your 100 Mbps internet is sufficient for you so best of luck with the next school semester.
Proud Sonic customer since 1999. Ask me about internet privacy, VPN, anonymity and security.
by amayfield » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:04 am
Hello Pololena,

I'm sorry for your poor experience with your Sonic service. It is certainly frustrating when the internet doesn't behave as expected and Support doesn't have an immediate resolution for the problem. Troubleshooting a connectivity issue such as the one you experienced is a multistep process - eliminating variables (potential points of failure) by reducing the network to it's most basic configuration and testing the connection. This helps us identify the point of failure. For this reason it was suggested you test the connection, as a troubleshooting step, while connected via Ethernet. If the issue wasn't replicated when connected via Ethernet then we would know it was a wireless issue and would focus our troubleshooting efforts there.

I hope your service with your new provider is suiting your needs.

Kind regards,
Andrew M.
Community & Escalations Manager
Sonic
by casner » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:14 am
Andrew, can you provide any response to my question in the initial post of this thread?
by drew.phillips » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:42 pm
casner wrote:I wanted to run a simple cross-assembler binary in my hosting account, but I get the following error:

as80: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.3' not found (required by as80)

I see that the libc is 2.2.5 from 2006:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Jun 15 2006 /lib/libc.so.6 -> libc-2.2.5.so

GNU C Library stable release version 2.2.5, by Roland McGrath et al.
Compiled by GNU CC version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.3 2.96-113).
Compiled on a Linux 2.4.9-9 system on 2006-02-19.

That's a decade ago now. Any news on when the hosting servers might be updated?
Unlikely this will be updated any time soon. PHP & Perl builds are done on a different host and installed to the hosting cluster, and most software is left alone on the servers themselves aside from security updates.

No guarantees are made regarding running programs other than CGI/PHP scripts on value or basic hosting. You might be able to run that program on shell.sonic.net from your account, but not on the cluster. We do offer custom hosting which starts at $38.00/month where you get a dedicated virtual container using an up-to-date Linux distro that would permit this.

If you are willing to provide more info as to what you're trying to do, we may be able to help or offer suggestions.
Drew Phillips
Programmer / System Operations, Sonic.net
by casner » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:25 pm
Thanks for the reply. I may have used the term "hosting account" incorrectly.

It is shell.sonic.net (AKA bolt.sonic.net) where I tried to run this as80 cross-assembler program and encountered the libc being too old. So it is not an update of the hosting cluster that I'm asking about, it is an update of bolt.

Custom hosting is more than I need for my occasional remote linux requirements.
by drew.phillips » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:12 pm
I understand you are actually referring to your shell hosting. Unfortunately, bolt.sonic.net is even older than the cluster and is running RedHat 7.3 from 2002.

It might be possible to copy a newer, 32-bit version of glibc from a similar (old) RedHat release and place it in the same directory as the program you're running, but that might be a challenge. Newer versions of glibc can't be compiled on bolt because gcc is also way out of date.

It is on the to-do list to update shell, but this has been outstanding for some time and probably not going to get prioritized any time soon. A lot of people have been using it for a long time, and upgrading will break cron jobs and other things that may have been on there a long time which is one reason we don't update it. That RedHat version has long been unsupported so no new software packages have been available for many years.

At this point, my recommendation would probably be to install a newer version of Linux on a virtual machine and use that to do your build.

Sorry there isn't better news, let me know if you have any other questions.
Drew Phillips
Programmer / System Operations, Sonic.net
8 posts Page 1 of 1