Personal Web Server

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
15 posts Page 1 of 2
by a2a6ast » Tue May 31, 2011 7:11 pm
I'm setting up a personal web server as a "hobby" of sorts. Of course it's always those of us with the loftiest goals and the least knowledge how to reach them.

I ran a BBS on Wildcat software in a former life. I liked the software very much, so I'm using Wildcat Interactive Web Server as a "playground", of sorts... something to tinker with for a while, and I don't have a clue how to point my registered domain at my web server rather than the directory tree on Sonic.

Obviously I don't know what information to include with my query, so please ask if you need more details.

A gentle shove toward the right starting point or toward some helpful resource would be most appreciated.

-Doug
by dane » Tue May 31, 2011 9:51 pm
As a starting point - you need to add a host record under your domain, eg "testweb", which points toward your IP address. Here's a screenshot of where to find the DNS editor in the Sonic.net Member Tools.

-Dane

Member Tools - DNS by Dane Jasper, on Flickr
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by a2a6ast » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:57 am
Hi Dane,

Thank you for your fast response. And from the top, no less. I appreciate your information very much.

You mentioned adding a host record under my domain, pointing toward my IP address.

My settings in the DNS editor appear to have that already. I didn't add it. The items were already added for me prior to my access to the tool the first time. Is there another Host record entry I need to add, aside from the existing [highlighted below] one?

dane wrote:As a starting point - you need to add a host record under your domain, eg "testweb", which points toward your IP address. Here's a screenshot of where to find the DNS editor in the Sonic.net Member Tools.
by dane » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:14 pm
The existing main record for the domain points toward our web server - as I understand it, you wanted to play with a server at your premise, so you'd add a new record, with a new name (not www, as that's taken), for example "testweb" and point it toward your IP.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by a2a6ast » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:21 pm
Ah, OK. That makes sense. I added a record called "wildcat.3vent-horizon.us" and pointed it to the IP address that tracert says is "mine". However, I'm getting an "Unable to Connect", but I think I might see the problem.

I think I signed up for the wrong type of "Hosting". I signed up for "Value" which (I think) gives me a dynamic IP address, but I need a static IP address, ala "Basic" hosting to point my DNS and other configs to.

Does my oversight sound like a logical cause as far as the "Unable to Connect" goes?
dane wrote:The existing main record for the domain points toward our web server - as I understand it, you wanted to play with a server at your premise, so you'd add a new record, with a new name (not www, as that's taken), for example "testweb" and point it toward your IP.

-Dane
by dane » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:10 pm
A bit of confusion here.

There are a few different types of hosting - but that's got nothing to do with what you're trying to do, which is host YOURSELF, on your PC.

For that, you do need a static IP for your broadband connection - but you can temporarily test using your current IP. Visit http://whatismyip.com/ to see your current IP, and point an A record toward that. Note that with a dynamic IP, it'll change from time to time, so this will break when that occurs.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by williamt » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:39 am
a2a6ast wrote: I ran a BBS on Wildcat software in a former life. I liked the software very much, so I'm using Wildcat Interactive Web Server as a "playground", of sorts...
Wow the memories that brings back. I think I still have my old Wildcat users manually around somewhere. :)
Sr. Systems Administrator @ sonic.net
by a2a6ast » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:09 pm
Hello Dane,

I sincerely appreciate your time. I don't want to take advantage of your generosity, so when I start to absorb too much of your time, please tell me. I understand completely.

I figured out what I did wrong in the DNS setup and corrected it.

I was able to reach out and contact my system using the address I configured in DNS. It was great to see something other than "unable to connect". I recognized the login request immediately. It was the login prompt into my (new Fusion) router.

Somewhere along the line I'm hoping to contribute something to this dialog, so I'm taking a stab at it here... there must be a way to tell the router to forward traffic to the Wildcat server address (a local network IP such as 10.x.x.x) rather than to the router login...?
dane wrote:A bit of confusion here.

There are a few different types of hosting - but that's got nothing to do with what you're trying to do, which is host YOURSELF, on your PC.

For that, you do need a static IP for your broadband connection - but you can temporarily test using your current IP. Visit http://whatismyip.com/ to see your current IP, and point an A record toward that. Note that with a dynamic IP, it'll change from time to time, so this will break when that occurs.

-Dane
by a2a6ast » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:17 pm
Hi William,

Thanks for the note. I'm glad to hear from someone with similar WC experiences.

The withdrawals from closing down my Wildcat BBS were almost as bad as those I got when I quit Everquest. :lol:

I've had this version (5.x) since 1996 and never really made any progress in tinkering with it. The "hobby" bug bites me every once in a while, but this is the farthest I've gotten. I'd probably still be staring at the WC config utility if I didn't have Dane coaching me through the setup.
williamt wrote:
a2a6ast wrote: I ran a BBS on Wildcat software in a former life. I liked the software very much, so I'm using Wildcat Interactive Web Server as a "playground", of sorts...
Wow the memories that brings back. I think I still have my old Wildcat users manually around somewhere. :)
by gp1628 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:28 am
I fully feel that there is no reason for past experience to go wasted. Those who ran BBS's could run a home server for friends and family. Or an online world for gamers. Or a forum for a subject of your interest.

And while I am at it... anyone who had extensive DOS experience, particularly with batch files, have completed an extensive tutorial with Linux in text mode (a major benefit to running a server IMHO).

Ive run a home server for almost a decade now. A dozen domains, over 100 email accounts, 2 online worlds, and 100 multiplayer games for a wonderful war strategy game called Dominions 3. People would be surprised. It takes less machine to do that then most of your desktop computers. And not a problem with shared bandwidth even on DSL (anything that gets popular I move to a real server but its nice to not have to do that UNTIL its popular enough to deserve it)

Here is some info on mine..
http://www.dom3minions.com/ServerInfo.htm

Gandalf Parker
--
Debian is my server
Google is my operating manual
Forums are my customer service
Total cost? nothing. Satisfaction? priceless.
15 posts Page 1 of 2