Personal Web Server

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
15 posts Page 2 of 2
by rlvh » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:43 am
a2a6ast wrote:Hello Dane,

<snip>

Somewhere along the line I'm hoping to contribute something to this dialog, so I'm taking a stab at it here... there must be a way to tell the router to forward traffic to the Wildcat server address (a local network IP such as 10.x.x.x) rather than to the router login...?
<snip>
I would check the website http://portforward.com to find instructions for opening the port (usually 80 for web servers) on your router.
by sidney » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:50 am
a2a6ast wrote:there must be a way to tell the router to forward traffic to the Wildcat server address (a local network IP such as 10.x.x.x) rather than to the router login...?
I don't know exactly what dsl modem/router you have, but typically you can find configuration options for "port forwarding" to do what you want. Let's say that your local network has ip addresses in the range 10.1.2.x, and your web server has ip address 10.1.2.30 and is configured to listen on the non-standard port 8080. You could configure the port forwarding settings on your router that is providing NAT (typically the same box as your DSL modem) to say "forward port 8080 to 10.1.2.30". Then anyone connecting to your static ip address on port 8080 will have their packet routed to your web server. The URL to reach you would be of the for http://home.example.com:8080/

If you want to use the standard port 80, then you can configure port forwarding for that. However, you have found that port 80 gets you to the dsl modem's web login. You probably don't want to expose your modem's admin interface to the outside world anyway, so I would look for a configuration setting that says to disable access to the web console from the WAN, or says enable it from LAN only, or something like that. Once the modem is no longer providing a web server to the outside Internet, it should be able to forward port 80 packets to your web server if the port forwarding configuration says so.

Sidney
by brandx » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:58 pm
Hi Guys,

I guess I'm not as clever as I thought. The only thing I seem to do well in this regard is lock myself out of my router. I've mastered that. :lol:

Thank you for all of your assistance. I think I'm going to give this up for now.

I truly appreciate the instruction and feedback.

-Doug
by joemuller » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:15 pm
Well, it's not quite a BBS, but it's a little-known fact that Sonic.net hosts oldschool door games at 'tradewars.sonic.net'. Just login with your member name and password, and enjoy! ;-)
I'm a proud employee of Sonic.net! :-)
by a2a6ast » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:18 am
Nope. Did not know that. Thank you for the tip! I'll check it out.

In case I forgot to say so before... Sonic ROCKS. You folks are awesome!

-Doug
joemuller wrote:Well, it's not quite a BBS, but it's a little-known fact that Sonic.net hosts oldschool door games at 'tradewars.sonic.net'. Just login with your member name and password, and enjoy! ;-)
15 posts Page 2 of 2