migrating Wordpress site

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by lee » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:47 pm
Newbie on Wordpress here:
I've set up a site for a client in my own directory, and now that it's ready to go live, I'm having trouble migrating it to his public_html folder. I installed wordpress on his site, replaced the wp-admin.php file and copied the WP files, but it lost most of it's formatting. I also tried ManageWP but no success there either.

Now I'm starting back at square one. Does anyone have suggestions? Getting desperate here!

Thanks sonic-ites!
by augie » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:57 pm
You should probably setup WordPress in the directory where you want it to go live in.

WordPress has an "import" function you could try to, but it really seems like moving files around isn't going to be a good option.
by lee » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:44 pm
Thanks Augie. I'm getting all sorts of conflicting information on where to host for development. It does seem that the easiest thing to do is set it up in his directory, but then it's public as I work on it right?

To say this is frustrating is an understatement! But I do appreciate the help from sonic.
by augie » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:17 pm
You could set it up in a directory below the root directory for the hosting, and then use the Member Tools to change the hosting directory to be that sub-directory after things look good.
4 posts Page 1 of 1