Trying to get WordPress working

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
17 posts Page 1 of 2
by dpasewark » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:10 pm
I'm trying to get WordPress working. I switch my site to Sonic as I assumed full support for WordPress.
Using advice from Sonic.net support, creating an .htaccess file with this info:

Action php-cgi /cgi-bin/php5
AddHandler php-cgi .php
This is supposed to solve the problem. After installing the .htaccess file, I get this error message:
Error establishing a database connection

Any suggestions?
by dane » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:37 pm
We offer a one-click installer for Wordpress, so you can simply have our system set up an install for you. You can find this in the Member Tools, under web site hosting, "web site add-ons", it'll say "install Wordpress", and will walk you through the process.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by dpasewark » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:50 pm
Thanks Dane,
I have a wordpress site already setup and I want to transfer it from my current ISP to Sonic. Can you give me any advice on how I can do a transfer successfully?

Thanks,
Don
by dane » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:52 pm
No, I don't have any experience with that, sorry! Perhaps those who do more WP can give some suggestions; does it have a back up and restore function? I don't know.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by dpasewark » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:55 pm
Thanks Dane,
I'll throw it out to the user group.

Don
by dpasewark » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:07 pm
If anyone is interested, I was guided to this URL:
http://codex.wordpress.org/Moving_WordPress

I'll give it a try!
by dane » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:44 pm
Cool, let us know how things go!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by lee » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:48 pm
dpasewark, I tried that same process in the WordPress codex, but it's still not working for me. If you have success, could you share it here?
Thanks,
lee
by thulsa_doom » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:47 pm
Lee,

What were the results of your attempt at the http://codex.wordpress.org/Moving_WordPress technique? What happens when you try to view your moved site? When you try to load your moved site's admin interface?

I've personally moved a couple of Wordpress installs that way and had good results.
John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
by lee » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:16 pm
Hi John,
I constructed the original site in my own directory lee.users.sonic.net/wordpress. When it was finalized, I used sonic tools to install wordpress in the new directory: frederickweisel.com.
I backed up the entire wordpress directory from my site to my hard drive.

Then I copied the wp-config.php file from frederickweisel, to get the DB name, user, password, and host. Updated the wp-config file on my drive, and uploaded all files to frederickweisel.com

The snag (I think) came when I went back to the lee.users.sonic.net/wordpress dashboard: Administration > Settings > General where the options to change the urls (both of them) was grayed out. When I went to frederickweisel.com, the generic WP site loads, not the one I've done.

I've spent the last two hours mucking around with various things suggested in the Wordpress codex, and now I'm really screwed up! When I go to lee.users.sonic.net/wordpress, I see the correct homepage, but that's it. Themes, plugins, custom css is gone. I still have the backup on my drive, but of course the wp-config.php is different.

I'm a newbie, obviously, so I could really use some help!

Thanks for reading,
Lee
17 posts Page 1 of 2