Hosted subdomain email bouncing with "relaying denied"

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by scottsel » Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:00 pm
I've been hosting a domain at Sonic since... forever. I have few CNAME records in DNS like this:

Code: Select all

www.<mydomain>.net  CNAME  <mydomain>.net
I've never had any trouble receiving email sent to user@www.<mydomain>.net, until recently. Right now when I send email to this address I get this bounce message:

Code: Select all

... while talking to mailin-01.mx.sonic.net.:
>>> DATA
<<< 550 5.7.1 <user@www.mydomain.net>... Relaying denied
Does anyone know what has changed, or how I can fix this?

Thanks,
Scott
by joemuller » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:31 pm
Hi Scott,

You'll need to work with support to set up a separate MX Handling service for any subdomains you want us to handle email for. It looks like your CNAME record should be enough to point any mail delivery to the right MX records -- we just need to have the service on your account so our server knows to explicitly handle email destined to that subdomain.

-- Joe M
I'm a proud employee of Sonic.net! :-)
by scottsel » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:23 am
Joe @joemuller,

Thanks for that suggestion. Do you know if they have the ability to enable MX Handling for the wildcard *.mydomain.net? Or would they need to do it individually for each of 22.mydomain.net, 23.mydomain.net, 24.mydomain.net, etc. The latter would be a bit of a pain, since I add new ones and delete old ones maybe once or twice a year.

Thanks,
Scott
by joemuller » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:48 am
scottsel wrote:Joe @joemuller,
Thanks for that suggestion. Do you know if they have the ability to enable MX Handling for the wildcard *.mydomain.net? Or would they need to do it individually for each of 22.mydomain.net, 23.mydomain.net, 24.mydomain.net, etc. The latter would be a bit of a pain, since I add new ones and delete old ones maybe once or twice a year.
Unfortunately, you'll need to have MX Handling added for each individual subdomain - there's no easy way for us to support email for a wildcard domain.

-- Joe
I'm a proud employee of Sonic.net! :-)
4 posts Page 1 of 1