ODBC and mySQL

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by racerlupine » Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:04 pm
I have a mySQL front end I've used for years elsewhere, but it can't connect to mySQL on Sonic. I also have a mySQL ODBC driver installed on my system that can't connect to Sonic. I've verified the server name, username, password, database name, all that.

Is it as SSL issue? Is phpmyadmin the only method allowed for administering a mySQL database on Sonic? Have I missed something?

thanks

RACER
by joemuller » Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:38 pm
Connections to any MySQL databases on your account are limited to just our web hosting and shell servers. If you want to use a method other than phpMyAdmin via Member Tools, you will probably want to do that via the shell server. If you're looking for an alternative way to manage your database, the MySQL Workbench tool allows you to connect to your database via a shell server using SSH as the connection method. (See documentation here: https://dev.mysql.com/doc/workbench/en/ ... s-ssh.html)

-- Joe M
I'm a proud employee of Sonic.net! :-)
by racerlupine » Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:37 pm
Joe,

Thanks for the info. I'll see if I can get to work.

RACER
by racerlupine » Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:46 pm
Joe,

Well I successfully connected to MySQL using MySQL Workbench just as you suggested. But what I really want to do is connect with ODBC so that I can execute queries from a FileMaker Pro database. The ODBC driver I have supports SSL but it needs a key or a certificate.

This isn't crucial to me. I do have adequate FMP-to-MySQL functionality for my needs. I use calculation fields in FMP to create SQL queries, then I export them to a text file and run the queries through phpmyadmin. It's clunky but it works. One of my clients has access to a corporate MySQL server and I built an FMP database for him that creates the queries and executes them from scripts through ODBC. I've automated all of his MySQL needs in FMP and it works really well. It's all just pushbutton simple and he loves what I built for him, he's barely aware of MySQL. I just wanted to see if I could do that with my own MySQL database on Sonic.

Thanks again, I appreciate it.

RACER
4 posts Page 1 of 1