public_ftp missing

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by datacon » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:26 pm
We have been connecting to our ftp folder for decades using ftp.sonic.net/public_ftp

Yesterday this stopped working and Transmit says the file “public_ftp” is not there.

Connecting to ftp.sonic.net/pub/users/ourname/ works.

Unfortunately we have the public_ftp url set in about 150 servers that connect on a daily basis.

is public_ftp a symlink?
I’m not familiar with the incantations required to create a symlink but I can’t create a file in the root folder anyway.

Attachments

by scott » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:36 pm
datacon wrote:We have been connecting to our ftp folder for decades using ftp.sonic.net/public_ftp

Yesterday this stopped working and Transmit says the file “public_ftp” is not there.

Connecting to ftp.sonic.net/pub/users/ourname/ works.

Unfortunately we have the public_ftp url set in about 150 servers that connect on a daily basis.

is public_ftp a symlink?
I’m not familiar with the incantations required to create a symlink but I can’t create a file in the root folder anyway.
public_ftp is a symlink, and I set it to something that will work. I hope you didn't have to change the urls on all those servers!

(Also forwarding this thread to the folks handling the home directory change.)

-Scott
by datacon » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:28 am
Scott,
thanks but...

I’m still not seeing public_ftp and still unable to connect using ftp.sonic.net/public_ftp
Still able to connect to ftp.sonic.net/pub/users/datacon
by scott » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:39 pm
datacon wrote:Scott,
thanks but...

I’m still not seeing public_ftp and still unable to connect using ftp.sonic.net/public_ftp
Still able to connect to ftp.sonic.net/pub/users/datacon
:/

Just spent some time grooming symlinks. We have 27 years of legacy paths to support, so it's not surprising that some got left out in the home directory migration. I think we should be good now -- if it _still_ doesn't work, meet me on the irc server that I have running on localhost:
irssi -c 127.0.0.1
/join #shell

...and we can fix it realtime.
-Scott
4 posts Page 1 of 1