Access to modify php.ini

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by sa03 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:16 pm
Messaging here on behalf of my client. I can't see to find a way into the folder structure to get at the php.ini file. I'm tying to bump up the file upload size. Can someone tell me how to get there. I don't see any options under the menus to get into the file system

Thank you
by joemuller » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:13 am
The easiest way to make changes to the default PHP (website) settings is to create a file called '.user.ini' (minus the quotes and note the leading dot) - an example of how to set the upload size would have the following included inside:

Code: Select all

post_max_size = 64M
upload_max_filesize = 64M
If you're running Wordpress, you can see the current limits under the 'Media' -> 'Add New' menu on the Admin page. Otherwise you can use something like phpinfo() (see example #1).

-- Joe M.
Sonic System Operations
I'm a proud employee of Sonic.net! :-)
by sa03 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:00 pm
Hi Joe...
I understand that part of it, I'm looking for access to the folder and file structure in order to upload this file. I don't see it within my admin panel. can you Kindly provide instructions on how to access a file manger or provide proper FTP protocol so I may update this file?

Thank you
by joemuller » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:52 pm
I took a quick look at your account - looks like the site in question is set up with Custom Hosting, so you'll want to connect via SFTP directly to the domain name -- username should be 'admin' and the password should be the same as for your main Sonic account. The main website directory should be 'public_html'.

For Personal, Value, and Basic Hosting, you would connect via FTP to ftp.sonic.net using your Sonic username and password. Website files are under the 'public_html' directory, with each site either having its own folder (the name should be the same as the site's domain name) or for a users.sonic.net site, everything will be right in 'public_html'.

-- Joe M
Sonic System Operations
I'm a proud employee of Sonic.net! :-)
by sa03 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:48 pm
Ive placed a file called user.ini with the parameters you describe in the public_html folder and I still cant get the site to allow me to upload anything more than 2MB.

Can you please provide an extensive description of what needs to be done to do this. Your admin panel is really limited in functionality and going back and forth is burning alot of time. I'd like to get this closed out today if possible.

+++++++++++

EDIT....

I added values to the htaccess file and that worked. Thanks for trying :-)
5 posts Page 1 of 1