Trouble updating Wordpress - where's phpMyAdmin?

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by kai » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:28 pm
I recently got notified on the Wordpress dashboard of updates, so I'm trying to perform backups, as suggested. I'm on the autism spectrum and am having trouble understanding Wordpress' backup instructions. I got as far as looking for phpMyAdmin in Member Tools (as the sonic faq directs), but couldn't find it. The relevant menu items I could find were Install Wordpress (already installed) and Create Database (already created during Wordpress install). I sent tech support an email about this over a week ago, but haven't heard back, so I thought I'd ask here. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
by joemuller » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:53 pm
Hi Kai,

Chances are that you set up your Wordpress site using the One-Click Install, which takes care of creating a database and placing all the files needed by Wordpress into the right places. Unfortunately, the phpMyAdmin tool is not available for the automatically-created database. The good news is that almost always, the latest versions of Wordpress automatically update themselves and do a pretty good job of safely doing so.

One thing to check out is the 'Export' tool in Wordpress - you can find it under 'Tools' on the left-hand-side menu of the Admin page. This takes all of the content, settings, and files that are unique to your site and packages them up in a way that they can be brought back in using the 'Import' tool.

If you want to back up just the files directly, you can do so using FTP - please see our help page over here. Usually, when you first connect, you'll see a folder called 'public_html', which will have folders inside it for each of the websites you have set up with Sonic. Making a copy is usually as easy as a 'drag-and-drop' operation onto your Desktop or folder on your computer.

Doing a full database backup without phpMyAdmin is a little more complicated, but there are Wordpress plugins like Duplicator that make it really easy.

I hope the above was helpful for you, and please let me know if you have any questions.

-- Joe M.
Sonic System Operations
I'm a proud employee of Sonic.net! :-)
by kai » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:48 am
Thank you for orienting me to the reality of the situation. I appreciate your help. I was able to export and update just fine.
3 posts Page 1 of 1