can't install wordpress, wrong php

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by tsheiner » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:43 am
I have a confusing situation.

I am currently running wordpress 3.6 in my value hosting account.

I would like to install a new instance of wordpress into a sub directory of that account.

Confusing item #1: as I am already running wordpress I must have a database for it, however, when I looked in members tools>databases there is no entry for a database.

I then created a new database for the new installation of wordpress I want to create.

I then uploaded wordpress files into the new subdirectory. When I ran the 'famous 5 minute install script' by accessing the url of the new directory I immediately got the error message "Your server is running PHP version 4.4.9 but WordPress 3.6 requires at least 5.2.4.'

So this is confusing thing #2 because I am already running wordpress 3.6 so I can't understand how it is possible that my php version is incompatible.

??

Thanks!
by tsheiner » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:53 am
OK, I see from an earlier post that the reason I can't see the database from member tools is that it must have been set up using the 'one click' install as the db name has '_oc_ in it.

So that solves confusing thing #1. So now I am wondering how I can do a one click install of wordpress into the specific sub directory that I want to create?
by tsheiner » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:03 am
And further follow up:

I found the automatic wordpress install at Sonic Members Home -> Web Sites / Domain Names -> Website Add-Ons -> Install Wordpress.

However, when I tried to use it to create a second install in a subdirectory of my site I got the error message "Wordpress could not be set up at the URL and directory you selected."
by joemuller » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:30 am
Unfortunately, there is no customer-facing way of removing the 'one-click' Wordpress installs - you'll need to call or email our support team so they can run the appropriate tools.

You mentioned earlier that the site was giving PHP errors. This is because Sonic.net's servers use PHP 4.x by default. Most newer installs of Wordpress require PHP 5.3 or later. There are instructions on how to enable PHP 5.3 at the following page:

https://wiki.sonic.net/wiki/Php5

Hopefully, this information will be helpful to you, but please let me know if I can clarify anything.

-- Joe
I'm a proud employee of Sonic.net! :-)
by kbrandt » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:08 pm
This is great info. It would be even greater if some of it were presented more openly, such as right on the Sonic page from which one installs Wordpress. Directory must be empty, here's how to fix the PHP issue, etc.

This would have saved me about three days of looking in the wrong place for a solution. Going from what I read in this forum, it would have helped others and saved Sonic support staff's time, too.
by veeray » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:19 am
hi. just wondering since sonic does not show the database built with the one click installer is it better to install and build without the installer would that give me access to the database if I need to edit something or perform backups?
by miken » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:27 pm
veeray wrote:hi. just wondering since sonic does not show the database built with the one click installer is it better to install and build without the installer would that give me access to the database if I need to edit something or perform backups?
Regardless of how Wordpress is installed (manually or through our one click installer) you can see the files through Shell or any FTP program.
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by joemuller » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:19 pm
For Wordpress databases, you can connect from either shell.sonic.net or scripts running on our web servers. The connection information can be found in your wp-config.php file for whichever site you'd like to backup.
I'm a proud employee of Sonic.net! :-)
8 posts Page 1 of 1