is Basic Authentication supported?

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by jond » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:18 pm
Hi folks, I am floundering at creating a working basic authenticated directory, so of course, I am starting to blame the system, ha!

I think I'm doing it as I'm used to, which is to create the .htaccess file with path to a file like .htpasswd, which contains the username and password, created with the command:

/usr/bin/htpasswd .htpasswd hawks_admin

.htpasswd is chmod'ed to 644 and the directory to be authenticated is chmod'ed to 755.

Here's the content of .htaccess:

AuthUserFile /home/j/jond/.htpasswd
AuthName "Password protected for hawks_admin user"
AuthType basic

<Limit GET>
require user hawks_admin
</Limit>

Does anything jump out at you? Thanks a lot, jon :)
by dane » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:13 am
You may find good tips in the wiki. There is even a link to a user-created tool that assists.

https://wiki.sonic.net/wiki/.htaccess

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by jond » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:51 am
Wow, the famous Dane Jasper who said about bill HR1981, which would force internet providers to store a year's worth of personal data and hand it over at the request of law enforcement:

"Out of concern for that, and the right to use the Internet privately, we object," CEO Dane Jasper said.
From Dot-commentary, which runs Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays. Follow @jtemple on Twitter or e-mail jtemple@sfchronicle.com.

Thanks for standing up to the goons and thanks for the authentication link, I'm up and running :)
3 posts Page 1 of 1