PHP7 Now Available!

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
16 posts Page 1 of 2
by williamt » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:37 pm
PHP 7.4.3 is now available!

As seen running here: http://www.sonic.net/~williamt/php7/

Add the following to your .htaccess to enable it.

Code: Select all

AddHandler php-cgi .php
Action php-cgi /cgi-bin/php7

Things to note:
If you are using mysql and using the old_password shorter password format you will need to reset your mysql password. This can be done in our member tools.
Regarding wordpress, make sure you are using the latest version it allows you to update to through the /admin updater before switching to php7. After you update you can switch to php7 and the update to the latest version of wordpress.

If you notice any issues running php7 let us know. We wanted to get this out asap to you because you have waited long enough. We believe everything should work as expected though.

Thanks,
William
Sr. Systems Administrator @ sonic.net
by nedalpert » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:50 pm
Hello:

Just installed php 7.4.3 on the site roseannawoods.com (my client), but it caused a fatal error with WP plugin Layer Slider, so I reverted back to PHP 5.6.

I have 2 other sites with Layer Slider but different themes, and no problem with the php upgrade.

Do you have a different version of php 7 available?

Thanks, Ned
by williamt » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:41 am
What was the error?

Most likely wordpress or the plugin needs to be updated.
by bcoole » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:02 am
I know just enough about wordpress to get myself in a lot of trouble

If you have the ability to remotely coach an idiot in doing this stuff please contact me.
by duigou » Sat May 16, 2020 2:05 pm
Thank you!
by smkal » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:44 pm
Hi, I'm very new to all this and don't know how to add anything to my .htaccess to enable it. - or where to even find that. Is it simple enough to explain to a novice?

Here is what my site is now saying:

WordPress 5.4.2 is available! Please update now.
Fatal error: Can't use method return value in write context in /nfs/www/WWW_pages/kalmar/susiekal.com/wp-content/plugins/ultimate-social-media-icons/views/sfsi_other_banners.php on line 25

Question #2 - If I need to start over from scratch, how do i find and copy (back up) all the postings I have done on my site already?
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide,
Susie
by williamt » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:08 am
Hi smkal,

An .htaccess file is just a plain text file. One was created when wordpress was installed. You will find it in the root of your web directory.

When you open yours up you will see this at the top:

Code: Select all

AddHandler php-cgi .php
Action php-cgi /cgi-bin/php53
Just change php53 to php7 and you should be all set.
by smkal » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:05 pm
Thank you, that sounds very easy.... except how do I open the root of my web directory? (sorry if it's obvious, but I don't know how). I appreciate your quick response - thank you.
by flabbs » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:58 pm
smkal wrote:Thank you, that sounds very easy.... except how do I open the root of my web directory? (sorry if it's obvious, but I don't know how). I appreciate your quick response - thank you.
I have the same question. I'm a complete noob with a single page web site and have no idea where the root of my web directory is.
by joemuller » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:07 pm
smkal wrote:Thank you, that sounds very easy.... except how do I open the root of my web directory? (sorry if it's obvious, but I don't know how). I appreciate your quick response - thank you.
You'll need to use an FTP program to download, change, or upload the special .htaccess file. There's more information if you search for 'Web Publishing' on help.sonic.com, but in short:

If you have Mini-Hosting:
- connect using FTP to ftp.sonic.net using your Sonic username and password
- navigate to the 'public_html' folder

If you have Personal, Value, or Basic Hosting:
- connect using FTP to ftp.sonic.net using your Sonic username and password
- navigate to the 'public_html' folder
- open the folder that matches the domain name (usually the URL minus the 'www.' bit) of your site

Once you're in the right folder, you can either edit the .htaccess file on the server (usually available as 'Edit' after right-clicking the file) or you may need to download a copy, make your edit, then upload the changes.

-- Joe M
I'm a proud employee of Sonic.net! :-)
16 posts Page 1 of 2