PHP7 Now Available!

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
16 posts Page 2 of 2
by lduggan9 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:40 pm
Hi, the original post said to let you know if there are problems. When I followed the very clear instructions and changed the .htaccess file to indicate PHP7, then my Wordpress site said "Database Access Error." Restoring the .htaccess file to 53 fixed it. the original post said something about the SQL password, so I wonder if that is what is causing it, but I have no idea how to remedy. THanks
by lduggan9 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:44 pm
Never mind for my previous post... The original post said you could use member tools to update your SQL password, but in fact you need to use SSH, and follow the instructions in this post:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9245&start=10

Which I did. Problem solved
by sdlotu » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:03 pm
It has now been a month and no one has made any replies. I guess the forums are pointless as a source of support or information.

I have followed the instructions as indicated in the earlier posts. My site is fully up to date for WordPress, all plugins and all themes, active or not.

This was my original PHP statement:

AddHandler php-cgi .php
Action php-cgi /cgi-bin/php56

I updated this statement to the following:

AddHandler php-cgi .php
Action php-cgi /cgi-bin/php7

When I try to load the web site, the page is blank. If i try to view any postings from the Wordpress admin console, the pages are all blank. When viewing the rendered page code, this is all that is presented:

<html>
<head><head>
<body><body>
</html>

When I revert to the first PHP statement above, everything is normal again.

I have no idea why none of my pages can be rendered at all with the statement provided.
by bnoble » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:26 am
Hi,
My htaccess file has a note in it that I'm not real sure of but think from previous stuff you guys needed to update me to the PHP Version 7 for my Wordpress folder for bobseyes.net.
Thanks
by bburnett » Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:24 pm
You cannot update because WordPress 6.2.2 requires PHP version 5.6.20 or higher. You are running version 5.3.29.

I have two questions

1. Can I use wp-htaccess-editor.1.71 to update my PHP.

2. From what I've read here to update PHP I first need to change my database password, to be compatible with new PHP version

Here is what a sonic support person posted on this - please confirm this is still correct:

To change database password, edit the wp-config.php file to get your current database credentials. It may look like this:

Code: Select all

define('DB_NAME', 'username_oc_1'); // The name of the database
define('DB_USER', 'username_oc_1'); // Your MySQL username
define('DB_PASSWORD', '76f7c035e51e65479b19838160331b1b'); // ...and password
define('DB_HOST', 'b.custsql.sonic.net');

Using an SSH client, connect to sh.sonic.net and log in with your Sonic.net username and password.

Run:

mysql -u username_oc_1 -h b.custsql.sonic.net -p

Enter the password.

Run:

set password for 'username_oc_1'@'%' = PASSWORD('76f7c035e51e65479b19838160331b1b');

This updates the MySQL password to the newer format without changing it.

After performing this step, PHP can be updated to higher by changing the .htaccess file.
by joemuller » Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:31 pm
Based on the info you gave above, it looks like your site was originally set up with PHP 5.3. You can change that over to PHP 5.6 or 7 by editing the htaccess to replace 'php53' with 'php56' or 'php7' respectively.

I can do the database password update and the PHP version switch for you, just let me know if that's okay.

-- Joe M
System Operations
Sonic.
I'm a proud employee of Sonic.net! :-)
16 posts Page 2 of 2