Port Forwarding Issue

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by dnoci001 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:07 pm
I have tested some server code on my local network and it works fine.
I'm having trouble setting up port forwarding for external access to the server. I have a SR515ac router.
I have set up a static IP for my machine and have also added it to the static lease list.
I have disabled the firewall on my machine to isolate the problem.
On the router I have done a few things.
I have gone to virtual server setup and added a new row with the desired port 1234 for external start and end and internal start and end. This also has the static IP I have previously defined and uses eth4.1.
I have added this information also to the NAT port triggering.
In Security ->IP filtering -> Incoming I have also added a rule to accept any traffic going to port 1234.

This is all new to me so I imagine I have done something very naive. Is there anything In particular I might have done wrong?

Thanks!
by ngufra » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:19 pm
you don't need port triggering.
you need:
IP assigned to you by sonic, either static or dynamic. Note that dynamic can change, so you can also setup something like "no-ip" to get a name for your ip, you will need a small program running on one of your computers to update the tables at no-ip so that when you try to resolve your name, it returns the current ip assigned to you by sonic.

Then the packets from the internet arrive on your router, and you have the port mapping that say forward packets on port 1234 to this local ip, also on port 1234 (it could be setup to be on a different port). some routers handle differently TCP and UDP.

You need, as you did to have a specific computer on your local network to always get the same local ip, and you see to have set it in the ip reservation table. Basically, it's asking the router to always assign the same ip address on a specific mac address.
Don't change anything on the computer, let it get whatever ip the router will assign to it, but tell the router to always assign the same to that computer.

When these 3 things are done (-1- have a know public ip, -2-have a fixed local ip for your computer, -3- have a port mapping from external :1234 to local:1234) it should just work fine.
2 posts Page 1 of 1