Trouble retrieving directory (when I try via ftp.sonic.net)

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by davechl » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:31 am
Hi,
I already have my website hosted on Sonic for a number of years. I'm trying to update the site, but I can't connect via FTP successfully. Called Sonic last night and checked settings (ftp.sonic.net, port 21), but they said no one is available to diagnose the problem further. Just wondering if anyone is having the same issue. I'm using FileZilla to connect. This is the error I get:

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Command: PWD
Response: 257 "/home/d/davechl" is the current directory
Command: TYPE I
Response: 200 Type set to I
Command: PORT 192,168,1,75,213,253
Response: 200 PORT command successful
Command: MLSD
Error: Connection timed out after 20 seconds of inactivity
Error: Failed to retrieve directory listing

It seems to log in but can't retrieve directory listing. Any help is appreciated.

David
by jht51 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:02 pm
I'm not familiar with FileZilla, but the PORT command shown above indicates it's using FTP's active mode, and that won't work with NAT. (It's telling Sonic's FTP server to connect back to 192.168.1.75, which is a private address hidden behind your router.)

Your FTP client needs to use passive mode.
by davechl » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:50 pm
jht51 wrote:I'm not familiar with FileZilla, but the PORT command shown above indicates it's using FTP's active mode, and that won't work with NAT. (It's telling Sonic's FTP server to connect back to 192.168.1.75, which is a private address hidden behind your router.)

Your FTP client needs to use passive mode.
j

WOOHOO! :) Thanks a million! That did it. Thanks for checking those details. I'd have never figured it out. Cheers!
3 posts Page 1 of 1