Would like to use a subdomain

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
25 posts Page 1 of 3
by alm » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:51 pm
My domain name on Sonic.net is cvlrr.com.
How do I set up a subdomain, e.g. members.cvlrr.com, and set up a link to that subdomain?

Thanks,
Al
by tjj » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:26 pm
If you want hosting for that domain as well, you can give us a call and we can manually set it up for you. It isn't something that people want very often, so there is no tool for it.

If you already have it setup somewhere with an IP address, you can edit the DNS through the member tools to have members.cvlrr.com resolve to that IP.

If you can explain how you want it configured, we can probably give you a better, more tailored response.
Tage J.
Sonic.net Customer Support
by alm » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:24 pm
Thanks for your reply!!

I have a folder named "members" in my website folder structure. This folder is in the root of my website.

I would like to have users click on a link and go to that folder as a subdomain named "members.cvlrr.com". Not go literally to the folder as "cvlrr.com/members."

Sonic has a similar set up for your own member tools. When I click on member tools, I am taken to members.sonic.net. That's what I'm trying to do.

Thanks again for looking into this.

-Al

P.S. I'd also like the members folder to use ssl/https, like yours does, but that's another story...
by tjj » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:25 pm
If you want to use SSL, you would want to get our SSL service, which you can read about here: http://sonic.net/sales/secure-web/

It looks like you have personal web hosting on that site, so the only way to really do this is to add the above or value hosting and have it point to that directory as well as getting us to make the change manually in our system for the subdomain.

Unless anyone else can chime in with a better solution that I am missing?
Tage J.
by alm » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:40 pm
So, can I get the subdomain "members.cvlrr.com" WITHOUT getting SSL?
by dman » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:38 pm
Yes, you can setup a sub-domain without having SSL. SSL was mentioned because that is what they're using for members.sonic.net. If you'd like some help setting that up, I'm sure their tech support would be able to help you.
by aw » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:58 am
tjj wrote:the only way to really do this is to add the above or value hosting and have it point to that directory as well as getting us to make the change manually in our system for the subdomain.
Hey tjj,
Sorry to bump an old topic, I'll open a new one if that would be better, but are you saying you can have a subdomain hosted with value hosting? I just spoke with a tech who checked with a Senior tech and both said that hosting a subdomain for some reason that they're unaware of requires basic hosting. Is this some new policy?

Thanks,
AW
by tjj » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:27 pm
Aw-

If a senior stated that is what is required, then that is what is required. They probably need the static IP of the Basic Hosting to allow for this to be setup easily would be my guess.
Tage J.
by thulsa_doom » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:38 pm
aw wrote:Is this some new policy?
Brand new.
John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
by Mark » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:17 pm
John,

I am just clarifying. I have www.domain.org, I want to have tcats.domain.org and tools.domain.org. Are you saying I have to purchase two more basic service accounts, two more value hosting accounts? Can I do this by purchasing a basic account with a single Basic Hosting account with a single IP.

I have sent in a request to ops@sonic.net to have the subdomains pointed to a specific directory.
25 posts Page 1 of 3