I need a CSR (Certificate Signing Request) for SSL validation

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by soconbop » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:58 pm
I called tech support about an SSL, was told I need to purchase a certificate for a 3rd party. I did. Now the 3rd party asks for the Web Server Software version as well as asking for me to "Enter CSR From Web Host Your certificate will be provided for your server. (SSL Certificates require key sizes of 2048 bits or higher.)"

I called support and was instructed to post this request here. Please help, this is urgent.
by joemuller » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:49 am
Hi, it appears another representative may have reached out to you, but if case you do need a Certificate Signing Request (CSR), here's the process using shell.sonic.net:

1.) Log into shell.sonic.net using your sonic.net username/password.
2.) Run the following commands: (yourdomain.net is the domain name of your website - don't include http:// or www.)

Code: Select all

set csr_domain=yourdomain.net
openssl req -out $csr_domain.csr -new -newkey rsa:4096 -nodes -keyout $csr_domain.key
Here's what it looks like when I use 'example.net':
$ openssl req -out $csr_domain.csr -new -newkey rsa:4096 -nodes -keyout $csr_domain.key
Generating a 4096 bit RSA private key
.........................................................................................++
.........................................................................................................................................................................................++
writing new private key to '.key'
-----
You are about to be asked to enter information that will be incorporated
into your certificate request.
What you are about to enter is what is called a Distinguished Name or a DN.
There are quite a few fields but you can leave some blank
For some fields there will be a default value,
If you enter '.', the field will be left blank.
-----
Country Name (2 letter code) [XX]:US
State or Province Name (full name) []:California
Locality Name (eg, city) [Default City]:Santa Rosa
Organization Name (eg, company) [Default Company Ltd]:Example Company
Organizational Unit Name (eg, section) []:
Common Name (eg, your name or your server's hostname) []:example.net
Email Address []:

Please enter the following 'extra' attributes
to be sent with your certificate request
A challenge password []:
An optional company name []:
Two files will be created - example.net.key (the Private Key - this should be kept safe and will be installed alongside the (public) SSL certificate you purchase from a vendor) and example.net.csr (the CSR). They are just text files with special names, so you can view their contents like so (and copy to the clipboard if needed):

Code: Select all

set csr_domain=example.net
cat $csr_domain.csr
I hope this helps!
I'm a proud employee of Sonic.net! :-)
2 posts Page 1 of 1