WordPress error establishing database connection

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by mrpasini » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:05 am
Thought I updated my password to the new format before changing to PHP 5.6 but apparently I didn't do something right. Wordpress reports: "Error establishing a database connection."

How do I recover from this at http://mikepasini.com/phog/index.php?

TIA
by mrpasini » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:34 am
I reverted to PHP 5.3 (in .htaccess) and was able to get my WordPress site functioning both as an admin and as a visitor. I reset the password while I was in the admin page.

And the site functions with PHP 5.5 set in the .htaccess file in the WordPress directory (/phog). But not PHP 5.6. That fails to connect to the database again.

So how do I get PHP 5.6 functioning so I can update WordPress?
by joemuller » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:36 pm
Give it a try now - starting with newer releases of PHP, they deprecated the 'legacy' password code for older MySQL databases. I've gone ahead and re-hashed your Wordpress database password on the server, so that should hopefully fix the error.

-- Joe
I'm a proud employee of Sonic.net! :-)
by mrpasini » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:19 pm
Thanks, Joe, that did the trick. I didn't realize it was the PHP password and not the WordPress password that needed to be rehashed.
4 posts Page 1 of 1