domain email addresses [groan]

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by racerlupine » Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:55 am
I have two domains hosted on sonic.net. I have figured out how to alias a domain email address to go to a box on my sonic webmail account. What I can't figure out is how to send mail (or reply to mail) from my domain address.

1. The address info@mydomain.org is aliased to info-at-mydomain@sonic.net. Mail sent to info@mydomain.org reaches info-at-mydomain@sonic.net.

2. HOWEVER, a reply to that email goes out from info-at-mydomain@sonic.net NOT info@mydomain.org.

3. FURTHERMORE, I can't compose messages and send them from info@mydomain.org, only from the alias.

What a hassle! I am aware that the domain email issue has been ongoing for a very long time. Do I need to use a dedicated email client? Is this really the limit of the capabilities of the hosting service? Or am I missing something?

thanks

RACER
by racerlupine » Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:09 am
Okay you do it with identities. Still it's makes no sense from a user point of view. The users on my domain are never going to be able to adjust to the aliasing and all that. But sonic hosting is still a really good deal.

thanks

RACER
by virtualmike » Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:42 pm
When creating the mailboxes, I did something similar to you. I created each mailbox as <username-mydomain@sonic.net> and used Domain Email Addresses in Member Tools to point the address <username@mydomain.net> to the correct mailbox.

I also created a configuration document for my domain users. I started with Sonic's generic email client configuration data, and added the details that distinguish the email login ID (username-mydomain@sonic.net) from the email address (username@mydomain.net). I also included the instructions how to configure the identity in web mail and set it as the default, as well as how to log into Member Tools to manage the password and spam filtering.
by racerlupine » Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:59 am
Hey virtualmike,

Thanks for your input. My users are hopeless when it comes to configuration -- actually, "spoiled" is probably more accurate. They're used to being provided with a turnkey system. I'm writing an instruction set as you suggest but I'm probably going to have to configure everyone's box myself. Fortunately there aren't that many of them. And there's no way I'm giving any of them access to Member Tools (not that they'd want it).

I guess the config is easy enough once you understand it. It's just beyond me that Sonic can't make their domain email service work like everyone else's.

thanks

RACER
by virtualmike » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:01 pm
Hi, Racer ... all accounts have access to Member Tools, but your domain users who only have an email account are restricted to only the functions that make sense for their needs. They can only affect their mailboxes, not your overall domain and account.

If you don't tell them about Member Tools, they likely won't ask, but if they find it on their own, you can't stop them from logging in. The login is the mailbox name/login ID (w/o @sonic.net) and the mailbox password.

Speaking of which, I should clarify something from my last message: In the second sentence of my second paragraph, I should have typed "email login ID (username-mydomain) from the email address (username@mydomain.net)." ...cheers!
by racerlupine » Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:58 am
virtualmike,
... all accounts have access to Member Tools, but your domain users who only have an email account are restricted to only the functions that make sense for their needs. They can only affect their mailboxes, not your overall domain and account.
I just tested that and you're right, thank you I wasn't aware of that before.
If you don't tell them about Member Tools, they likely won't ask, but if they find it on their own, you can't stop them from logging in.
No doubt a few of them have already discovered it. lol it's no big deal.

thanks

RACER
by virtualmike » Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:39 pm
YW! ...cheers!
7 posts Page 1 of 1