SSL Certificates

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
27 posts Page 2 of 3
by ginnyw » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:46 pm
I too have this problem. I do not want to spend $38 each month for my site that doesn't need to really be encrypted but needs to for Google's sake so it doesn't come up as insecure. Other providers don't charge as much as sonic for this but I've been with sonic for decades, since their beginning, and would hate to leave. Sonic needs to offer SSL certs or their custom hosting package for less! This is ridiculous and not a way to treat loyal customers.
by mroeder » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:56 pm
Hosting https in addition to http cannot possibly cost Sonic anywhere near $38 per month per site. Web security is important to everyone surfing the web, even an amateur writer's Wordpress site. I'm already paying for fast fiber, web hosting, and domain name hosting. What happened to Sonic's dedication to Internet security?
by jclfa » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:18 am
am in the same boat as the others (above). Indeed, since it is alleged that Google will not consider a site without HTTPS, it is absolutely essential. I have fice sites hosted by Sonic and the increase in cost would be impossible. There must be a better solution.PS I cannot read your damnable confirmation codes!!
by tikvah » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:36 pm
So what the heck's going on with this? I had a long talk with tech support yesterday who told me all I had to do was to get a 3rd party certificate and send details to Sonic and they'd enable it for no extra cost. Being new to this I didn't know exactly what questions to ask and the tech wasn't an expert.

They didn't tell me it would cost 3.5 times as much for an account to have the privilege of manually updating SSL certificates every 3 months. What???

I know Sonic is pouring all its energy into fiber (for some) and DSL (for most) but web accounts have been part of its brand for decades (I own many of them). I was surprised when suddenly all my websites came up as "not secure." I can't afford a couple hundred dollars a month to fix this.

Please set up value and basic hosting to accept Let's Encrypt or other free/low-cost SSL certificates with automatic renewal. Dozens of hosting sites do this as part of their service. I would be fine with paying a small one-time fee each time this was set up (say $5-10).

Honestly, I may have to bail on Sonic even though I've been a customer for almost 20 years. Between this and now you won't even allow automated upgrades of Wordpress anymore (no, I do not want to research manual database upgrades for a couple hours then repeat it every few months...why is this no longer being done automatically?). What is going on? Please respond.
by gadget2 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:53 am
I came across this thread as I too am in the position of having my site labeled insecure. I see that getting it 'secure' will cost $$ - my cynical side says that this is a money maker for those who pull the strings. I'm sorry to that Sonic is charging so much to provide site security. I will be considering options after 20 years + of being here.
by peter » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:57 pm
Not having an SSL continues to be a problem - an UNRESOLVED problem.
I have a domain, using WordPress and only use the pages to display info to and from family and friends.
The SSL certificate is now a must have item.
I've read most info on the WordPress site and have downloaded the two Plugins that I thought would resolve the problem.
I installed and activated the Plug in called "Really Simple SSL" , as well as the plugin called "Auto-Install Free SSL" .
That second plugin - "Auto-Install Free SSL" is described as indicates it will refresh the certificate every few months, but may I need to load it onto the server at sonic in a certain sub-directory. I use FileZilla ftp.
I have read that many hosting services let their customers create an SSL certificate with "Let’s Encrypt" on their C Panel. Can anyone tell me if we have access to a control panel at sonic?
by colinr » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:20 pm
I've been a sonic customer for 20+ years and this SSL thing has got me bummed out - $38/month for what could be a free service is really asking too much.

Why not allow free SSL services like 'Let's Encrypt' work on Sonic's webservers?

Sorry for having to say it, but i won't be recommending Sonic the way i used to.
by quasar » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:47 am
I too am disappointed at the lack of SSL on my Sonic site. I've been hosted here since the tilde days (http://sonic.net/~quasar/), and remember the startup BBS on WWIV. I continue my account out of loyalty to a local company and nostalgia.

It is so disappointing to see the padlock with a red line through in on Firefox. Installing LetsEncrypt (certbot) is really a no-brainer these days. What will it take to move Sonic into the new decade?
by rohitm » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:34 am
Is there a technical challenge that makes this complicated to solve for sonic hosted websites?
If so, could that be shared so everyone can appreciate why this is not a slam dunk.
by colinr » Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:27 am
Months ago I tweeted CEO Dane Jasper about this and he seemed to suggest Sonic's focus wasn't so much in hosting and more so on internet service and fiber optic deployment. I can't speak for the man, but i will say this - as a lifelong Sonic user, i no longer have the appreciation i used to have, and i no longer promote their services to new friends. Sorry for having to mention it.
27 posts Page 2 of 3