ARIN to Recover 757K Fraudulently Obtained IPv4 Addresses

General discussions and other topics.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by ewhac » Tue May 21, 2019 2:35 am
https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2019/0 ... addresses/

So, any chance we could now see some static IPs on Fiber? :-)
by ngufra » Wed May 22, 2019 8:57 am
I would like a static ip but i fail to see the relationship with the article.
Whether static or dynamic it will be a sonic ip.

You need fewer Dynamic ip than static ip if you serve modems that are not always on. if the connections are always on, you would need the same number.

From what i understand it's a technical issue and sonic does not see the benefit of offering it so they don't.
They have an API to map your dynamic IP to a name but i have not been able to use it. NoIP works well except that their free offer requires monthly confirmation.
by dct » Fri May 24, 2019 9:28 am
We don't have any plans for static IP's on fiber, but there are workarounds, such as DynDNS, which would allow you to have a static address (your.fiber.connection.dyndns.org), without having a static IP.

If we do provide static IP's for Fiber in the future, we'll be sure to let you know!
Dan T.
Community & Escalations Manager
707-547-3400
@Sonic
by dane » Fri May 24, 2019 9:44 am
ngufra wrote:I would like a static ip but i fail to see the relationship with the article.
Whether static or dynamic it will be a sonic ip.

You need fewer Dynamic ip than static ip if you serve modems that are not always on. if the connections are always on, you would need the same number.

From what i understand it's a technical issue and sonic does not see the benefit of offering it so they don't.
They have an API to map your dynamic IP to a name but i have not been able to use it. NoIP works well except that their free offer requires monthly confirmation.
Yes, this is correct. Whether static or dynamic, about the same number of IPs are needed, it's about availability of IPs.

It's about network complexity and maintainability, which are key to reliability and scale. Additionally, the need for static IPs has greatly diminished in the modern internet.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by ngufra » Fri May 24, 2019 11:42 am
How difficult would it be for sonic to have a dns server that would resolve <accountname>.users.sonic.net to the ip that is currently assigned to that account, so we would not need an external dynamic dns service?

It would save us the dyndns fee or periodic confirmation, save having to run an updater to update the dns provider with our current ip.
Dynamic DNS typically uses a short lived TTL but if managed by sonic and they know they won't assign it to anyone else they can set the ttl to a day to let it be cached, and lower it when they plan work that would need changes.
5 posts Page 1 of 1