Spam control question

General discussions and other topics.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by willt » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:20 pm
In the FAQ's about Spam this line of text appears.

Use invalid.email@sonic.net as your reply Email whenever you don't know who will be seeing your address.

I don't understand what is or how to use the "invalid.email@sonic,net" reply. Can anyone explain this please?

Thank you and regards,

Willt

:?
by virtualmike » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:49 pm
Use it to configure your email program or other client software that requires an email address. Where you'd normally type "youremailadddress@sonic.net" type the string above.

This is most commonly done with Usenet, where people routinely munge their email addresses so that spambots cannot harvest them.
by willt » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:57 pm
Okay,

Thank you for your reply to my question.

If I configured my email program that way would everyone I send an email to see the invalid@sonic.net as the sender? I wouldn't want that because most people I send email to would not understand and simply delete the mail thinking it was spam.
by virtualmike » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:06 pm
Yes, that's exactly what would happen. I wouldn't recommend it in your email program; however, if there's another place where you are expected to provide an email address but don't want to reveal yours (at least not such that a 'bot could harvest it), the bogus address is a good one to use.
by willt » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:11 pm
I see,

Thank you.
5 posts Page 1 of 1