webmail no longer keeps msgs bolded when unread

General discussions and other topics.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by raiden » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:32 am
I noticed a change in the behavior of webmail maybe a month or 2 ago - normally the msg's stay bold until read on webmail itself, but now they no longer do.

I tracked it down to when my phone gets mail periodically, then webmail considers those msgs as 'read', regardless if I have opened them or not. This didnt used to happen, and nothing changed on my phone side that I'm aware of. Is this possibly due to a webmail update a few months back?

Thanks.
by kgc » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:38 am
This is because one of your mail clients is using POP3 to download the messages. If you change it to us IMAP this will no longer be a problem for you. This behavior did change as an unintended consequence of our recent IMAP and POP3 server upgrades.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by raiden » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:25 pm
Thanks for the quick answer. :)
by linelle » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:18 am
I just want to say I'm finally at peace with IMAP and all my devices synching. At first it was disconcerting to go to a device and not see bolded notifications for each email received...even though I had just read it on another device. When I added an iPad, it got even more complicated. After a couple of days, however, it makes total sense and I appreciate being able to access a message Sent from one device on another.
by kgc » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:25 am
I'm glad to hear that - I think it is what most people want even if they don't realize it. I delivered a duplicate copy of mail to my blackberry for years until I decided that IMAP everywhere just worked better. You can always mark messages unread or flag them as important from any of the devices so you'll still see them as pending items on the other devices.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by linelle » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:36 am
kgc, you're right, it *is* what I wanted. It's just at first I failed to recognize it. A guy at the Apple Store even had me set up an additional pop account on my mobile devices which resulted in multiple copies of email and just general chaos. I bit the bullet, deleted all my pop accounts and went with IMAP. Suddenly the light bulb went on and serenity ensued. Thanks!
6 posts Page 1 of 1