I want to switch from Comcast business but...

General discussions and other topics.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by Havoc70 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:21 pm
I really want to switch from Comcast Business but when I was advised that Sonic doesn't offer static IPs, that was a deal breaker. I host my own mail and web server and static IPs are a must have, not a nice to have. As a business, I cannot rely on a service like DynDNS, my customers don't want that for their websites that I host, either. Please offer static IPs.

Also, you're not in my area yet (Fairfield/Suisun, CA). Any plans on offering static IPs and when will you be in this area?
by virtualmike » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:46 pm
Certain business services do offer static IPs. You probably should be checking into those services.
by dane » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:42 am
Sonic’s residential and “VSB” (very small business) fiber services do not include static IPs.

Our enterprise offerings do - those products include WAN at up to 100Gbps, managed dark fiber, internet access at up to 10Gbps, managed firewall, SD-WAN, campus WiFi, and a full array of voice services from POTS to Hosted PBX. Many medium to large businesses use Sonic for enterprise telecommunications, and these are a compliment to our adjacent residential services.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Havoc70 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:56 am
Thanks, Dane. I'm very much a small business. Any chances of offering static IPs for the VSB services in the future? I loathe Comcast, but right now they are the only ones offering both the speed I require and static IPs.
by dane » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:38 am
Havoc70 wrote:Thanks, Dane. I'm very much a small business. Any chances of offering static IPs for the VSB services in the future? I loathe Comcast, but right now they are the only ones offering both the speed I require and static IPs.
No, we don’t have plans to incorporate static IPs into our consumer/VSB offerings at this time.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by need_static » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:50 am
Hopefully this will be reconsidered eventually. Sonic's mission doesn't talk about privacy anymore, but those of us who simply want to host email or other simple services from home cannot. I'd happily have the fiber connection capped at something reasonable to prevent abuse. Sadly this is probably a dwindling population. There's also the case where employers/clients require static IP addresses for VPN connections.

The dream:

Sonic Fiber @ 100Mbps / 100Mbps
(Optional) 1, 4, or 8 static IP's

I would happily pay $150 per month for this and most small businesses (5 - 25 employees) who require only basic connectivity and static IP probably would too.
by Havoc70 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:36 am
I would happily pay that as well.
by ewhac » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:05 pm
dane wrote:Sonic’s residential and “VSB” (very small business) fiber services do not include static IPs.

Our enterprise offerings do - [ ... ]
Your Web site is silent on this topic. Who would I speak to to find out more about that?
8 posts Page 1 of 1