Transferring recordings on AT&T VCR to my laptop?

General discussions and other topics.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by jacquessonia » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:41 am
We are considering switching from AT&T Uverse TV, phone and Internet to Sonic. But my husband has hours of films and TV shows that he recorded and are cureently on the AT&T recorder box. Does anyone know how we can save this data and download it to a laptop or a data stick? Thank you!
by ewhac » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:58 pm
Short Answer: You can't. This is by intentional design, because copying broadcast TV shows without permission is tantamount to grand larceny (don't get me started).

Longer Answer: The only marginally effective way is to play the recordings on AT&T's DVR in realtime and capture the video output via an external device (which will obviously require many hours). You would need to do some fairly extensive research on how best to accomplish this and, alas, you won't be able to get that help in these discussion fora because everyone here has to pretend that unsanctioned copying is Very Naughty Indeed.

(Readers: Please don't devolve into a tedious back-and-forth about copyright law. No one (who isn't an IP attorney) seriously believes the current copyright regime is remotely fair or equitable, but Sonic.net has to make a show of discouraging such thoughtcrime lest they have to waste scarce resources fighting off mean-spirited, petulant, frivolous lawsuits.)
by dane » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:13 pm
I'd suggest subscribing to YouTubeTV, then add things you want it to keep to your library. The DVR there seems to be totally unlimited, it supports accounts for each family member, and as shows and movies get broadcast, they're added to your library. I've been really impressed with it over the last couple months.

I'm using an LG smart TV to watch in one location, an older TV with a $50 Roku stick in another spot, and my web browser on my computer when I'm mobile. It's slick - TV is just an app, and it's portable too.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
3 posts Page 1 of 1