Can't use my own router?

General discussions and other topics.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by ThomasSquared » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:47 pm
I'm interested in getting switching to Sonic at my home in South San Francisco. It appears the only options currently available are the FUSION IP which do not let me use my own router according to https://help.sonic.com/hc/en-us/article ... ent-Policy

Is there any reasoning behind this? Will other Sonic users be able to piggy-back off my wifi signal? Will the security of my network be in my hands?
by kyle.depasquale » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:47 pm
So fusion IP broadband is delivered using some of ATT’s technology rather than Sonic’s, and their modem uses some sort of certificate to authenticate to their network. Unfortunately this isn’t something that you would be able to do with your own device.

That being said, no, others can’t piggyback off of your WiFi signal (they don’t do what Comcast does where a separate xfinitywifi SSID is broadcast to everyone), and you have the ability to secure your WiFi however you choose, make changes to the firewall configuration, etc.
by ThomasSquared » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:57 pm
Thanks so much for your reply! The Comcast/Xfinity situation is exactly what I was looking to avoid.
by ozware » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:41 pm
You can use your own wireless router and do what you want with home routing and wireless configuration. After install and setup by Sonic staff, you can use the Sonic home wireless router or deploy your own and then send the Sonic device back to Sonic. You can configure the Sonic router or your own or bridge your own router to the Sonic router.

There are several threads on this topic.
4 posts Page 1 of 1