Can Sonic email ignore part of email addresses?

General discussions and other topics.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by darrylo » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:38 pm
(I think the answer is, "no", but I thought I'd ask anyway.)

Hi, does Sonic email ignore part of Sonic email addresses? For example, gmail ignores any "+foo" part of the email address: "example+foo@gmail.com" is the same as "example@gmail.com". Is there anything similar for Sonic? Thanks.
by williamt » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:56 pm
That's called plus addressing/routing and it works at sonic too.
username+tag@sonic.net would get routed to you.
Sr. Systems Administrator @ sonic.net
by gp1628 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:09 am
Isnt that part of the email standard? Like using ! in an address. Or being able to address emails to an IP number
by thulsa_doom » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:31 pm
gp1628 wrote:Isnt that part of the email standard? Like using ! in an address. Or being able to address emails to an IP number
Well, there are standards and then there are standards. RFC1855 says you shouldn't top-post, but nobody clued in the folks that made my phone's mail client.
John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
by darrylo » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:09 am
williamt wrote:That's called plus addressing/routing and it works at sonic too.
username+tag@sonic.net would get routed to you.
Thanks. Nice to know that it works.
by darrylo » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:17 am
gp1628 wrote:Isnt that part of the email standard? Like using ! in an address. Or being able to address emails to an IP number
I did some digging, and there's really no standard for that. In fact, the mail server is apparently free to interpret everything after the "+" however it wants. Some email services, like gmail and sonic, ignore everything after the "+", while apparently other services treat everything after the "+" as a mail folder (actually, RFC 5233 uses "jdoe+foo@example.com" to mean mailbox "foo" belonging to user "jdoe" -- yes, "mailbox", not "mail folder").
by virtualmike » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:55 pm
thulsa_doom wrote: RFC1855 says you shouldn't top-post, but nobody clued in the folks that made my phone's mail client.
No one clued in the folks at Microsoft about many of the RFCs.
7 posts Page 1 of 1