Connection Throttled? Turn Off Google Music.

General discussions and other topics.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by ewhac » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:27 pm
Today I arrived home to be informed by my sweetie that the Intarwebz were b0rk3d. Downloads had slowed to dialup speeds and had been so for some hours.

After spending some quality time with a Sonic.net tech support lady (whose name I'm embarrassed to say I've forgotten), and checking to ensure the modem wasn't spazzing out, she eventually checked some stats and said my downlink had been throttled because I had been saturating my uplink. Once that issue was addressed, my bandwidth should return.

Looking at the winking lights on the switch, I determined the culprit was my sweetie's desktop machine. She immediately ran a malware scan. I ran 'trafshow' on the gateway to try and find out what she was talking to. The winner was a server named {something}.1e100.net. My sweetie looked it up and found it belongs to Google. I asked, "What else had you done this afternoon?" "Well, I tried to install Google Music, but I don't think it worked."

She then looked in the taskbar, where was running Google Music. Upon restoring the window, we discovered that it was in the process of quietly uploading her entire music collection to Google.

So... Note to Sonic admins and Sonic users: A new uplink hog has arrived on the block, and may clobber your connection. (Better get that fiber laid pronto :-) .)
by tjj » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:52 pm
It seems that there are going to be a lot more of these kinds of things coming along. I know that I uploaded all of my music to Amazon's Cloud Drive or whatever they are calling it to backup my music and that ate up a TON of upstream. Google appears to be doing similar.

Note that the following is coming from what many would refer to as a "fanboy" but I really like what iCloud will be doing on this front. It will scan your music and get the fingerprint of the songs and albums and match them with what Apple already has on their servers, sparing you the time to upload. Anything that they don't have will be uploaded, but I figure they will probably have 90% of most music that people that use the service will be listening to.
Tage J.
Sonic.net Customer Support
by aw » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:48 am
In the "Advanced" setting of the Google Music Manager, you can select "Bandwidth available for uploading"
If you set this to no more than 50% of your total upload speed, you should be fine and get full download speeds. Also, IMO, google music is AWESOME! No total storage size in GB, 20,000 songs if they're 3mb songs or 30mb songs.
by bobrk » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:37 am
So Sonic throttles bandwidth? I'm confused.
by kgc » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:05 pm
No, we don't throttle connections, ever! This is a slightly confused report on the expected behavior of a asymmetric services like DSL. If your upstream is saturated the downstream performance will basically drop to that of the upstream link. There are some techniques that can be used to help mitigate this. A more detailed explanation: http://www.benzedrine.cx/ackpri.html
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by dane » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:22 pm
aw wrote:In the "Advanced" setting of the Google Music Manager, you can select "Bandwidth available for uploading"
If you set this to no more than 50% of your total upload speed, you should be fine and get full download speeds. Also, IMO, google music is AWESOME! No total storage size in GB, 20,000 songs if they're 3mb songs or 30mb songs.
Applications that do huge uploads really should sense that they're congesting your link, and back down. See Kelsey's link for more technical details, but basically when you saturate the upstream, downstream becomes slow too because the ACK for each inbound packet is slowed on the congested outbound.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by aw » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:58 pm
dane wrote: Applications that do huge uploads really should sense that they're congesting your link, and back down.
-Dane
^^THIS!
by bobrk » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:15 pm
<phew> I knew that effect, but I was just checking.
8 posts Page 1 of 1