ICMP / Ping Question

General discussions and other topics.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by cataha » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:32 pm
So I noticed that every minute i get a ping/ICMP packets from
17:03:23 64.142.100.44 Denied ICMP type=8, code=0 from 64.142.100.44
17:02:23 64.142.100.44 Denied ICMP type=8, code=0 from 64.142.100.44
17:01:23 64.142.100.44 Denied ICMP type=8, code=0 from 64.142.100.44
.....................(it's been going on since day one)
Is it to keep a frame-relay circuit going(L2) or been in an active state? (i kinda like Juniper my self but when it comes too uptime i tend to lean to someother solution)
(I think) it maybe similar to "nagios" approach(L2 CAM Table timeout, but then i tried getting deferent ip add by been off line for few minutes/hours and still end-up with same ip add PER-MAC_tied_to_MAC-ADD whereas when i tried deferent MAC i get a deferent ip add)
But why to a cpe/pc/station end?
That's the question that i have
(you could say i'm in a networking myself and have seen few isp(s), but this is first one that does every minute from the time it encounters of been up/active)

Isn't it that this also puts a stress on a network site?
every_min * #_of_costumers=a lot of bandwidth
by toast0 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:09 pm
That's sonic's automated ping tester; it helps them find some problems before customers call in. It's not a whole lot of bandwidth (128 bytes on ethernet), and it's all within sonic's network, so it's not expensive bandwidth either.
by cataha » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:38 pm
toast0 wrote:That's sonic's automated ping tester; it helps them find some problems before customers call in. It's not a whole lot of bandwidth (128 bytes on ethernet), and it's all within sonic's network, so it's not expensive bandwidth either.
O.k.... so
"from my first post"....."it maybe similar to "nagios" approach".....
What i was asking
is for my own knowledge if i ever came across of a similar problem(s), how i would deal with a L2 problem(wo/nagios in place) with encaps of ATM/Frame-replay/PPoE/or else (i'm aware of first 64-256 bit/byte are guaranty to get to destination but not thereafter any bits/bytes)
(i have my own mini lab at home for an educational purpose which consists of cisco/juniper/watchguard/VM/Hyper/etc... gears)
But i'm not at an ISP level going over leased circuitry of going morethen 1KFeet+ away)
I admit i do like to learn a thing or few about networks computers and other fields of life

128Bytes * 10,000(or more)=Alot(backplane)
And i'm not saying how it should or should not be ran/runned
by toast0 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:09 pm
cataha wrote:128Bytes * 10,000(or more)=Alot(backplane)
And i'm not saying how it should or should not be ran/runned
It's not really a lot, that's on the order of 1 MByte per minute or 170 kbps per 10,000 customers (in both directions). One ping a minute might be aggressive on dialup, but even with a 14.4 kbps modem, it would be around 0.1% of the available bandwidth. (i should add a factor of 2 for conceivable overhead, but didn't)
4 posts Page 1 of 1