Is my modem failing?

General discussions and other topics.
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by craig.langman » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:28 pm
I'm not a network export so forgive incorrect terminology.

I have Sonic FTTN and all is working well with that basically. But maybe there's something wrong with the router portion of my modem? Or maybe not. I dunno.

One of the things I have plugged into it, via a cable thru the walls is an old dsl modem configured in bridge mode. Into that I have plugged my printer and tivo. This has worked fine for a while. Also have WiFi on there cuz better signal in front of the house.

Suddenly today I can't print, then come to find tivo also no network, and also it's wifi won't work. the box itself seems to be turning on and off every so often perhaps. I dunno.

Thinking it's just random glitch, I power cycle to reboot. Same. Reset it, configure my network name/password, back to bridge mode, and try again. Same. Try power cycling main modem. Same. So seems to me that old dsl modem failed, but lucky for me I have a backup, which I happened to test a couple weeks ago cuz I put it on letgo for sale, but nobody has picked it up. It's another slightly newer old dsl modem, a sonic pace 4111N in fact, which I'd already configured in bridge mode. Anyway, it's doing the same thing. Also tried resetting and re-configuring it for bridge mode per https://wiki.sonic.net/wiki/Pace_4111N#Bridge_mode , but no change.

And like I said I just tested it a couple weeks ago so just weird that both of them aren't working. So it made me think maybe it's actually the main modem router. I tried clearing the device list from the reset menu. Anyways it doesn't seem to see anything plugged into a 2nd router in bridge mode anymore. And I dunno how to troubleshoot next. I've done the factory resets on everything.
by craig.langman » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:54 pm
I guess nothing wrong. I bought a cheap GL-AR150 mini router and it works fine in bridge mode, wirelessly even, but it only has one lan jack so I used that for the tivo. I plugged my printer in thru the wired cable in the walls. This is a much cleaner setup as I previously had a long cable to the tivo before anyway, and the mini router is powered off usb so I power it direct from the tivo.
2 posts Page 1 of 1