DMCA "violations" IE Accusations

General discussions and other topics.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by redking » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:42 pm
Just curious how Sonic.net handles DMCA accusations

I switched from mediacom since they did not understand what TOR is or the way the internet works and cancelled my service after getting too many accusations from copyright holders (Mediacom cancelled not me, :roll: )

I'm happy to say I have not received any calls or letters from the DMCA or Sonic.net about my desire to use the internet anonymously and privately, so everything is good!

I'm just curious - does sonic just shred these letters? lol.

Have you managed to get around it or have I just been lucky?
by dane » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:55 pm
We only maintain logs for up to two weeks, and generally these notices come after that period, so we are generally unable to match them up to customers. Note that the DMCA take-down process only applies to servers controlled by the ISP, not to end-user PCs - but you could be subject to lawsuit, or to service of a search warrant in the middle of the night, etc, so running a TOR exit node may be a risky choice.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by redking » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:26 pm
Thanks for the swift reply, Dane!

It's nice to know you only keep logs for two weeks! I remember reading about this some time ago, but never put two and two together.

I tried to explain to several mediacom reps both on the phone, in person, etc. that the ISP was actually protected under the DMCA and they were not required to suspend my account nor terminate my contract and charge me an ETF :P

Mostly what they wanted to do was forward my information to the alleged copyright holder, I assume so they could present me with some kind of canned settlement/legal threat

I assume sonic.net chooses not to disclose this sort of information?

I am not too worried about a lawsuit - not sure what kind of evidence would be available in court and a search warrant in the middle of the night would be just as disconcerting. I have nothing to hide on my hard drives or in my home, but I'd sure hope whoever serves the warrant would announce themselves kindly before forcing entry as my family is armed to the teeth :P
by aw » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:35 pm
dane wrote:We only maintain logs for up to two weeks, and generally these notices come after that period, so we are generally unable to match them up to customers.
One thing I've been curious about since this change (which I highly applaud, btw!) is how this relates to customers with static IP addresses? Are all just assumed to be "potentially" dynamic for this purpose? :D
by redking » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:29 am
aw wrote:
dane wrote:We only maintain logs for up to two weeks, and generally these notices come after that period, so we are generally unable to match them up to customers.
One thing I've been curious about since this change (which I highly applaud, btw!) is how this relates to customers with static IP addresses? Are all just assumed to be "potentially" dynamic for this purpose? :D
Guess we don't get an answer? :P
by thulsa_doom » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:42 am
When we receive a valid court order requesting information, we make a good-faith effort to fulfill the request. If you have a static IP address we probably know when you got it.
John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
by jmunowitch » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:24 pm
This is almost tempting enough to switch from static to Dynamic...
7 posts Page 1 of 1