Fiber ruse

General discussions and other topics.
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by maxinegerb@gmail.com » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:41 am
I've been calling sonic every couple of weeks and they assured me that fiber would become available to me at the end of September. In fact the online "check availability" says "Service is scheduled to be available Sep 2018."

When I called today, they said it had been delayed due to "infrastructure issues" and they couldn't tell me how long the delay would be. When I pressed for more information, they said there was no more information available. What kind of runaround is this? How could they not have known 2 weeks ago that it wouldn't be ready? Someone must have more information, but the guy on the phone wouldn't do anything but repeat the party line.

I'm considering dropping sonic all together.
by ankh » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:29 am
It depends on your location. I had to wait several weeks because some piece of hardware upstream was preventing a signal from coming through the fiber the installer had attached to our house -- although his little laser pointer was properly sending light upstream, his buddy at the other end couldn't get light to come downstream to us.

That probably prevented a lot of installations from completing in our area for several weeks (near Monterey Market/North Berkeley library/Solano.

You can see a detailed map (can't say how accurate it is) from broadbandnow.
Albany CA: https://broadbandnow.com/California/Albany?zip=94706

That one shows half our block has Sonic service and the other half doesn't yet, and that's not up to date, I know people in the area shown as without Sonic who are happily connected.

Patience furthers.
2 posts Page 1 of 1