Feature request: hide handles in forums

General discussions and other topics.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by ptufts » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:38 am
Hi Sonic folk (and forum users),

I have a feature request for the forums.

I'd like it if Sonic could hide forum posting user handles from public (un-signed-in) view. The primary goal being to keep Sonic usernames out if bing and Google to increase user privacy, and secondarily, to make it harder to do a credential scan.

I imagine the forum software has an option for hiding profile handles from public view, but if not one of the following would be a decent option:

1) allow users to go back and edit / overwrite the handle on their post to anonymous.

2) add forums to robots.txt exclusions
by fakeusername » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:35 am
Why don't you just not give your real username?
by drew.phillips » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:11 pm
Non-members can't view forum profiles for registered customers, but as the forums are open, the usernames are visible to search engines and other visitors.

As mentioned, you can post anonymously as a guest if you don't want to expose your personal username. You can also authenticate on the forums using a mailbox, so you could create a mailbox user exclusively for forum posting to keep your username protected.

If you would like, we can also update your existing posts to belong to a mailbox or account you own.
Drew Phillips
Programmer / System Operations, Sonic.net
3 posts Page 1 of 1