Engineer for Enterprise Colo Customer afraid to go to datacenter because it looks like a warzone out front

General discussions and other topics.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by Concerned Enterprise » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:55 pm
Hi, I've been trying to follow the homeless encampment situation outside of HQ at 2260 Apollo, sometimes I have to go to the datacenter where the company I help spends thousands of dollars per month on private colocation services, and over the past several months I have had a really difficult time feeling safe going in to respond to Enterprise IT needs at night, which is my job. I've had to deal with no parking anywhere near the entrance and then walking at night with mace and a flashlight and box cutter, because that's all we can really have here in California, avoid campfires in the street, drug and alcohol activity, the smell of stench, trash, etc. I understand there are real concerns in Sonoma County regarding homelessness and displaced fire victims but I really don't think enough is being done to protect your handful of Enterprise colocation customers, and I'm not willing to talk about this with a sales rep. or anything like that, I've complained to my employer and I'll probably just get another job if I have to keep working under these conditions. I had a difficult time even explaining to my employer how bad it has been there so I've advised him to routinely check on the situation himself when he is in town. I think it would be appreciated if the lighting was improved and perhaps there should be some security at least in the area where Enterprise customers have to go to access their IT assets in your facility? I feel bad for employees that have to deal with that every day I have had a few near breakdowns just trying to get there and do my job.
by dane » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:23 am
The homeless encampment situation is clearly awful. For those interested, see news coverage in the Press Democrat, here:
https://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/8709 ... v-homeless

Sonic currently has overnight security on patrol outside our facility. I’d encourage you to park in our lot at the first entrance, near the walk-through gate to the collocation entrance.

I’m hopeful that Santa Rosa city leaders meet their commitment to resolve the situation by mid September. I’m optimistic, we have seen nearly half of the encamped homeless depart over the last couple weeks, since Santa Rosa provided them notice of the upcoming clearing of the encampment. We’ve also seen a number of vehicles and RVs towed, also good signs.

I’m sorry that you are dealing with this. It’s been a huge impact on our staff as well, and all of the people who work in the business park. We are eager to see the City place these folks in shelter, RV parks, and hotels, and that is progressing.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by dane » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:40 pm
A follow-up on this issue:

We have a secure, fenced parking lot, which is gated. Your colocation customer access badge will open the vehicle gate, so you can avoid walking down the street. There is reserved parking available for colocation customers inside the secure fenced area. A security guard is also on duty.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by ConcernedEnterprise » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:41 pm
Thank you for the follow-up, I appreciate that. I was aware that my colo badge would open the walk-in gate although I was unaware that it is considered acceptable and possible to open the vehicle gate with a colo badge and then park inside, that is very good information and again I thank you for the efforts made to help customers, employees, contractors, basically everyone who has a right to visit the office buildings feel safer while they go about conducting regular business activities regardless of what time of day or night it is.

My personal experience for about the past 9-ish years has been although I have found it near impossible to park in a reserved spot designated for customers at all during daylight hours as head count increases occurred thus driving the need for employee and installer / construction vehicle parking, if I find myself having to go to the datacenter in the future at night, I will for sure follow your recommendation of parking inside the vehicle gate.

I hope the situation I originally posted about continues to improve for everyone. Thanks again to all Sonic employees for continuing to provide excellent during these difficult times.
by dane » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:51 pm
If the colocation customer reserved spot is in use and you can't find another available parking spot inside the gate, please feel free to double part in front and block in a couple of our trucks! ;)
Dane Jasper
Sonic
5 posts Page 1 of 1