Email subject to the Brown Act—part of the public record

General discussions and other topics.
10 posts Page 1 of 1
by dewms » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:18 am
I have a seperate mailbox for a public entity I am on the board of.

I need to know how the deleted file on the server works. It appears that when we delete an email from one of our ipads or mac, it disappears from all the devices and goes in there.

If I archive messages how long are they stored and how easily may I access them if I need to?

How do I stop the actions from one device affecting all the other devices?

Thanks, De
by virtualmike » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:29 pm
dewms wrote:It appears that when we delete an email from one of our ipads or mac, it disappears from all the devices and goes in there.
The "delete" function isn't intended to remove an email from your device. It is intended to erase the message from the server. Think from the concept that each device is a viewer to the server. If someone deletes the message, it is removed from the server, and all devices then reflect that.

If multiple people are accessing the mailbox, they need to be trained not to delete messages until everyone has had a chance to review and/or they have been archived.

You'd be better served to give each person his/her own mailbox, and use one of several different options to copy the message to each person's mailbox. You might even want to create a mailbox to which no one has access so that all email to it will be retained.
by dewms » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:19 am
Thank you. I will need to educate myself about archiving messages.

If I set the computer up as POP, will we still be able to access the messages from our ipads?
by kgc » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:21 am
So long as the POP client doesn't delete the messages, yes. POP and IMAP clients can coexist.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by virtualmike » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:58 pm
But beware that an IMAP user doesn't delete the message before the POP user(s) download it.
by dewms » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:06 am
Thanks for the help. The other user has been warned never to delete anything from that account ever again! (-:
by dane » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:56 am
Any entity or individual that is subject to the Brown Act (or FINRA, or Sarbanes-Oxley, or HIPPA, for example, I'm sure there are others) should not be using a standard ISP email box or address for their messaging.

Cities for example will have an official email address for city staff and elected official to use, and those should always be used. They'll also need to supply a mobile device which archives things like text messages. Officials need to avoid any non-approved communications channels, which are not secured or archived.

Entities with these type of obligations will use a special-purpose email deployment, either specifically configured Exchange system, or something turnkey like the Barracuda product. https://www.barracuda.com/products/messagearchiver

If you are subject to messaging archive obligations, you should not use a standard Sonic email address - nor one from Gmail, Yahoo, AOL :roll: etc.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by dewms » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:26 am
Thank you Dane. I will talk to our DM.
by digitalbitstream » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:23 pm
What Dane said: "Any entity or individual that is subject to the Brown Act (or FINRA, or Sarbanes-Oxley, or HIPPA, for example, I'm sure there are others) should not be using a standard ISP email box or address for their messaging."

Good resources are at:
http://www.westerncity.com/Western-City ... unication/
by dewms » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:25 am
Thanks!
10 posts Page 1 of 1